Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 12°C

Search

For 63 years the Ipswich Operatic and Dramatic Society has entertained thousands with their colourful shows at local theatres.

For generations, Grimwades shop on the Cornhill, Ipswich, was a landmark and although it closed in 1996 the building is still referred to by many as “Grimwades”.

Working horses on our streets are a very rare sight now and are usually for demonstration or promotional events. The same is true in farming, with horse power replaced in another form.

The Ipswich Scout and Guide Gang Show celebrated its 80th birthday a couple of weeks ago and in this week’s Days Gone By we have featured photographs from past shows, along with photographs from other youth organisation events.

Ipswich Dock was completed in 1842. The Royal Assent from Queen Victoria for the Ipswich Dock Act was received in June 1837.

William Lovell was the chief librarian with the East Anglian Daily Times Company for several decades.

St Helen’s Street is one of the oldest streets in Ipswich. It is now one of the busiest routes through Ipswich, taking thousands of vehicles across town everyday.

In February it was announced that the Bupa care home, Anglesea Heights, Ipswich, was to close.

For close to 60 years college buildings have stood on a site off Grimwade Street, Ipswich.

In 1982 the Fire Brigade moved to a new fire station in Princes Street, Ipswich.

In June 1992, East Anglian Daily Times and Evening Star staff photographer Owen Hines flew from Ipswich Airport to capture the Ipswich area from the air.

Shops that have gone from the Ipswich town centre, and largely failed shopping developments in the town, feature in this weeks Days Gone By.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds nature reserve at Minsmere, is part of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths area of outstanding natural beauty and the Suffolk Heritage Coast.

Thatching has been practiced for hundreds of years, and still protects many Suffolk churches, homes and barns from the elements.

Pin Mill is a popular destination for sailors, walkers, artists, photographers and those visiting the centuries old Butt and Oyster public house.

Sea Road, Felixstowe was built during the Victorian period and more buildings were added during the Edwardian era, as the town expanded along towards Landguard Point.

The events in January 1868 started on a Monday evening (January 27) with the mayor, John Patterson Cobbold, inviting around 600 “principal citizens” to a “Conversazione”.

Circuses with performing animals are, fortunately, largely consigned to history in Britain.

Much of the area of Ipswich, bound by Cauldwell Hall Road, Woodbridge Road and Foxhall Road, is part of the town developed by the Suffolk Freehold Land Society.

When the Dr Who series began on the BBC in 1963, police phone boxes were a common sight.

As we go through some of the coldest and shortest days of the year, Days Gone By readers have been recalling their summer days by the sea at Felixstowe.

How good is your knowledge of Suffolk in Days Gone By? As most readers will be enjoying a day off today, on Boxing Day, I have created a picture quiz with photographs from my archive.

Christmas 1986 saw the end of centuries of history in Ipswich town centre when the Crown and Anchor in Westgate Street closed for the last time.

Hundreds of houses were built in the Henley Rise, Castle Hill area of Ipswich during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, connecting the area with the Whitton Estate.

Photographs of the Woodbridge Road, Sidegate Lane area of Ipswich, were published on these pages recently and readers have responded with memories of the area.

Residents, holidaymakers and day-trippers have enjoyed the delights of being by the sea since Felixstowe was expanded during the Victorian and Edwardian period.

This weekend will see Remembrance Services all over the country. Residents of towns and villages will gather at war memorials to pay their respects to those who have died to secure and protect our freedom.

Trains provided a link to the outside world for towns and villages as the Victorian railway companies expanded with main and branch lines all over Suffolk.

A mixture of homes, schools and businesses make the busy area of Ipswich around the junction of Woodbridge Road, Rushmere Road and Cauldwell Hall Road.

Cliff Lane, Ipswich, was just a track leading from Nacton Road to Holywells Road with Holywells Park on one side and farmland on the other, writes David Kindred.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Ipswich Star daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24