Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 9°C

Search

The pigs are coming. Find out more about

Pigs Gone Wild

here.

10 things you didn’t know about Ipswich - we uncover town’s hidden secrets

12:30 24 February 2016

.

July: Many of the visitors to the Royal Show used a special trolley bus service from the Ipswich town centre to the showground. 396,294 passengers were carried by the service between 3-7 July.

. July: Many of the visitors to the Royal Show used a special trolley bus service from the Ipswich town centre to the showground. 396,294 passengers were carried by the service between 3-7 July.

Think you know everything about Ipswich? Think again. John Norman from the Ipswich Society highlights ten top facts about our historic town.

Unitarian Meeting House, IpswichUnitarian Meeting House, Ipswich

How many of these facts did you already know? And how many are new to you?

1. The Willis Building - The ‘job’ architect was Sir Michael Hopkins, who in the early 1970s was working as a Partner in Norman Foster’s practice. Lord Foster outlined the design concept, particularly using glass curtain walling which he had used on the Fred Olsen building in London’s Docklands. But the practical everyday detailing and decision making was carried out by a young Michael Hopkins, aided by Birkin Haward junior (son of Ipswich’s greatest post war architect, Birkin Haward)

2. The Unitarian Meeting House in Friars Street still has the original box pews (one per family) all facing the pulpit (all pulling together as one). Daniel Defoe said of it: ‘The interior is the best finished of any I have ever seen, London not excepted’.

The Brewery Tap pub in the shadow of the old Tolly Cobbold Brewery in IpswichThe Brewery Tap pub in the shadow of the old Tolly Cobbold Brewery in Ipswich

3. WS Cowell’s Printing Works stood in Market Lane until it was demolished in 1984 to make way for the Buttermarket Shopping Centre. It was on the site of the Whitefriars Monastery which perhaps explains why workers in the factory regularly reported seeing a ghost. A similar apparition is sometimes seen inside McGinty’s public house (formerly the Halberd Inn) on the site of Ipswich’s North Gate.

4. The Royal Show was held in Ipswich on the 3rd – 7th July 1934. This prestigious event covered an extensive area of land at the top of Crane Hill, land which became the Chantry housing estate after the Second World War. The Royal Visitor was the Prince of Wales who became Edward VIII, the uncrowned King in 1936. The Suffolk Show has been held since 1831 but has only been on the showground at Trinity Park since 1960, prior to which it was held in different venues around the county.

5. Tolly Cobbold - Thomas Cobbold moved his brewery from Harwich to Ipswich in 1745 because the water, flowing out of the springs and ponds of Holywells Park was much better for making beer than the well water of the Essex town. The ‘canal’ across the bottom of the park conveyed the water to the Brewery.

6. Arlington’s Brasserie is so called because it is based in a building that was previously Arlington’s Dance Studio. Generations of Ipswich residents learned to dance here. The building was originally constructed in 1847 as Ipswich’s first museum, hence Museum Street. The first curator was the tutor to Charles Darwin, the Reverend Professor John Stevens Henslow.

7. St Peter’s Church has the finest black Tournai marble font in the whole of England. When a church becomes redundant the font is usually the first piece of furniture to go, usually to an alternative church but here the font survived in situ. It is a remarkable piece of 12th century church art, once seen never forgotten, possibly because to the primitive brooding lions carved around the rim. St Peter’s was commandeered by Wolsey for his college chapel and the congregation forcibly moved to St Mary Quay a quarter mile further east.

8. St Stephen’s Church Robert Leman, one time Lord Mayor of London and his wife died on the same day: 3rd September 1637, a tablet inside the church records the event:

Beneath this monument entombed lie

A rare remark of a conjugal tye.

Robert and Mary, who to show how neere,

They did comply, How to each other deere

One loathe behind the other long to stay

(As Married) Died together in one day.

9. The White Brick marks an unfortunate event whilst the Odeon (Lloyds Avenue) was being built in 1936. Difficult to see but high up on the west wall (it can be seen from the rear entrance to Debenham’s) is a single white brick standing out from the London commons. This discrete marker indicates the spot from which a bricklayer fell to his death whilst working on the building.

10. Mayflower and the Pilgrim Fathers - It is likely that the Mayflower was built at one of the shipyards on the banks of the Orwell and fitted with masts and sails at Harwich. Her captain, Christopher Jones was a Harwich man and many of the Pilgrims that sailed in 1620 were from Suffolk. On leaving Harwich the Mayflower called at Rotherhithe and her noted departure port, Plymouth. Throughout the 1630s scores of ships left Ipswich and other East Coast ports carrying settlers to America.

The sign that has been put up in Through Jollys in Kesgrave, after a cat was killed from traffic

A Kesgrave cat owner whose pet was killed on one of the town’s busiest roads, after being hit by a car, has urged motorists to keep to the speed limit.

CSCL Globe at The Port of Felixstowe on 7th January 2015

Calling all shipspotters – the world’s second largest container ship will be docking at the Port of Felixstowe today at 4pm.

Hawthorn Drive, Ipswich

An empty former care home in Ipswich could be turned into 23 apartments and four bungalows, if planners give the scheme the green light.

The Ipswich Foyer in Star Lane.

A centre that has helped thousands of vulnerable young people in Ipswich get off the streets and back into education and work looks set to close due to a shortage of funding.

Police were called to a serious crash in Newmarket this afternoon

An air ambulance was called to a serious crash in Bury Road, Newmarket, this afternoon.

Consultation on the future of a four-school federation begins next month

A federation of four rural Suffolk schools could be broken up, little more than a year after being put together.

Queuing traffic on Landseer Road, due to roadworks at the Sandyhill Lane junction

Motorists are facing more delays on their rush hour commute into Ipswich as further roadworks are set up on the approach into the town centre.

An Abellio Greater Anglia train

Passengers on trains between Norwich and London Liverpool Street are experiencing delays this afternoon.

Foulgers Diary of Grundisburgh have reported a recent spate of milk thefts from properties in Ipswich 
Pictured: Milkman James Codling.

Dozens of milk bottles delivered to Ipswich homes by milkmen have been stolen in the last month, a “concerned” Suffolk firm has said.

Police investigate the scene of an armed robbery which happened at 6am on Sunday November 22nd, at the One Stop Stop in Claydon.

A man has been cleared of being involved in a £10,000 raid at a Suffolk store during which the manager and a sales assistant were tied up.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24