September 17 2014 Latest news:
By Craig Robinson
Thursday, March 21, 2013
A SUFFOLK couple who were shot and robbed while on the Caribbean island of Barbados have both been released from hospital, it has been confirmed.
Philip and Ann Prior, understood to be from Bedfield, near Framlingham, were returning to a cruise ship following a stopover in the capital, Bridgetown, when they were attacked.
Officials have confirmed they have now both left the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where they received treatment.
Mr Prior, 72, was shot on his left side and his wife, 59, who was discharged on Tuesday, was hit in her right thigh.
The Royal Barbados Police Force have now charged two suspects for the offence and they have appeared in court.
Richard Sealy, minister of tourism and international transport, Barbados, said the authorities were continuing to work together to support Mr and Mrs Prior.
“On behalf of the people of Barbados we are deeply saddened by this incident and our thoughts are with Mr and Mrs Prior,” he said. “Our absolute priority is the safety of our community and visitors to our island.
“Barbados is a friendly and welcoming country with more than 250,000 British tourists each year, many of whom are repeat visitors.
“But, like every country in the world, some crimes will occur. Please let me reassure you that we take any incident very seriously indeed and the authorities are investigating this very thoroughly and looking to support the family at every step of the way.”
Mr and Mrs Prior, who are believed to have moved to Bedfield around three or four years ago, having previously lived in the Harleston area of south Norfolk, were on a three-month P&O cruise around the Caribbean and South America.
They were returning to the ship on Sunday afternoon when they were attacked and Mrs Prior had her handbag stolen.