max temp: 7°C

min temp: 3°C


Bedfield: Philip and Ann Prior to return to Barbados a year after shooting - following an invite from Sir Garry Sobers

13:45 03 March 2014

Philip and Ann Prior have been given a luxury trip to Barbados , to make up for when they got shot last year.

Philip and Ann Prior have been given a luxury trip to Barbados , to make up for when they got shot last year.

Their last Caribbean adventure ended in robbery, violence and bloodshed when a holiday cruise turned sour.

Phil and Ann Prior meet Garry Sobers in the Dennington Queen's HeadPhil and Ann Prior meet Garry Sobers in the Dennington Queen's Head

But when Phil and Ann Prior return to Barbados this week, the gentle thud of leather on willow will make a pleasant change from the brutal gunshots that marred their previous visit.

The Barbados Tourism Authority has offered the couple an all-expenses paid luxury holiday with Twenty20 tickets to see England take on the West Indies as recompense for last year’s shocking experience.

As a keen cricket fan, Mr Prior, 73, was delighted by the offer - but he was quite astonished when Sir Garry Sobers, the legendary West Indian all-rounder, attended the Queen’s Head in Dennington to make the invite personally.

“For someone like me who grew up with cricket, it was like meeting an old friend,” he said.

“He was a very affable fellow and a great chap, easy to talk to and had a fantastic knowledge of the game.”

The Priors, from Bedfield, near Framlingham, will fly business class from Heathrow on Saturday for a fortnight of luxury in an “extremely plush” Barbadian hotel where they will reconvene with Sir Garry and other cricket heroes including Wes Hall to watch the action in Bridgetown.

The visit coincides almost exactly with the year anniversary of their last visit to the island when the couple were passengers on a 34 day cruise from Chile to Southampton on the P&O Adonia.

While walking back to the ferry following a Commonwealth Day service on March 17 they were gunned down during a robbery.

Mrs Prior’s bag was grabbed and then two shots rang out as she was shot in the thigh and Mr Prior in the groin.

“My own personal feeling was the absolute astonishment and alarm of seeing my wife lovely wife lying on the floor, bleeding profusely,” said Mr Prior

Despite the trauma of the ordeal, Mr Prior says they are not afraid of returning as their abiding memories of Barbados are of the wonderful support they received and the kindness of the local people.

“I look back thinking that I did not suffer any long lasting effect where as there are others people in far worse situations than I ever was,” said Mr Prior.

“I’m going back to see these great people who helped me out in a difficult time, to have some fun at the cricket and enjoy a good glass or two of cabernet sauvignon.”

Junior Orlando Hunte, who pleaded guilty to the shooting, is due before a judge in Barbados to receive his sentence today.



Undated handout photo issued by ITV of Kieron Dyer who has been revealed as one of the contestants for I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday November 10, 2015. Also among the 10-strong line-up is Diana Princess of Wales biographer Lady Colin Campbell, fashion guru Susannah Constantine, Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley, TV personality Yvette Fielding, X Factor choreographer Brian Friedman and Union J's George Shelley. See PA story SHOWBIZ Celebrity. Photo credit should read: ITV/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Kieron Dyer was given a rare night of luxury after winning a stay at the Jungle Boutique Hotel, but tensions are running high in the I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here camp.

East Anglian Air Ambulance

The A134 at Assington is closed in both directions due to a serious single-vehicle crash.

Humber Doucy Lane, Ipswich.

A couple aged in their 70s were injured during a robbery at an Ipswich home.

Izzy Alder

An 18-year-old woman who failed to arrive at school today has been found.

The Lighthouse project in Ipswich is celebrating its 40th anniversary.Ali Jordan and Ursula Burrows in a meeting.

There is a collage on the wall of messages from women who have been helped by Lighthouse Women’s Aid in Ipswich, formerly known as Ipswich Women’s Aid.

The police investigation centre in Martlesham.

One woman was taken to hospital and 20 other people into police custody today after they were discovered in a lorry container.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne leaves the Treasury in London for the House of Commons, where Osborne will deliver his Autumn Statement. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday December 3, 2014. See PA story BUDGET Main. Photo credit should read: Hannah McKay/PA Wire

Chancellor George Osborne will declare a crisis in home ownership as he unveils a raft of measures he claims will see 400,000 new homes built across England.

Government cuts could make the regular inspection of our waterways harder

This Government has been very keen to talk up its “difficult choices”.

Abellio Greater Anglia has warned that the services are expected to be disrupted until 7pm.

Trains between Norwich and London Liverpool Street may be delayed by up to 40 minutes.

Christmas shoppers at Tower Ramparts - soon to become Sailmakers

When are your favourite Suffolk stores open in the days before Christmas, over the bank holidays and during the New Year period?

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24