Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 18°C

Search

Developer ‘extremely optimistic’ long-running Suffolk road closure will complete a month ahead of schedule

PUBLISHED: 08:01 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 09:47 14 February 2018

Woods Lane is hoped to open sooner than first scheduled. Picture: GREGG BROWN

Woods Lane is hoped to open sooner than first scheduled. Picture: GREGG BROWN

Extended working hours are hoped to have reduced a long-running and much opposed road closure in east Suffolk by nearly a month.

Bloor Homes said it was “extremely optimistic” phase two of the Woods Lane closure, connected to its Longwood Fields development, could be brought forward to “mid-March”.

The closure had originally been scheduled to run from January 8-April 13, however after the first phase in November prompted significant opposition, Bloor agreed to consult with residents about the possibility of extended working hours.

People living in Melton and Woodbridge, where much of the traffic was diverted, as well as the many motorists who drive through the area each day, had complained of “Carmageddon” with longer journey times, road accidents and stretches of the A12 becoming “like a carpark”.

Businesses had also claimed to have been hit hard by the closure.

Bloor’s consultation found 64% of respondents favoured extending working hours, which resulted in a change to 7.30am-8pm on weekdays and 7.30am-4pm on weekends. The 24-hour option was deemed “no longer viable”, however, in recognition of the 29% of respondents who said they did not want night time working.

News that the closure was expected to be shorter than first envisaged was welcome in Melton – although recently some questioned whether the anticipated improvements were likely to materialise.

One resident, speaking anonymously, said they had heard it was “only a day or two” ahead of schedule.

In a statement issued this week, however, Bloor said: “Following the public consultation and the extended working hours, Bloor Homes is extremely optimistic that, subject to normal caveats for this nature of work, the end date for the road closure could now be brought forward to mid-March.”

Bloor said it had also asked Suffolk County Council’s highways department to allow single lane traffic on Woods Lane but had been refused.

“Since the necessary closure of Woods Lane, Bloor Homes would like to highlight the fact that all local businesses both in Melton and Woodbridge remain open and continue to trade,” the statement added.

“Bloor Homes is aware of the disruption the closure has caused to these businesses.”

“We apologise for the inconvenience caused during the closure of Woods Lane and we hope that the new homes in Melton will bring additional income streams from the new residents to the local business community.”

Bloor said it has paid £450,000 in Community Infrastructure Levy funding, which will be followed by a further £1,650,000 during the development.

It’s been a busy week across Suffolk and north Essex, here’s your catch-up guide to five things we learned this week.

If you heard the bang and fizz of fireworks but didn’t see them you probably missed the first day of the Ipswich Maritime Festival.

Yesterday East Anglia enjoyed bright and sunny spells but it looks like there could be a build-up of clouds later today.

Suffolk Constabulary chief constable Gareth Wilson writes about assaults on officers, how the force is improving its handling of non-emergency calls and the bravery of police dogs.

Members of the public are being advised not to approach a Hollesley Bay prisoner, who has absconded.

A man was arrested on suspicion of drug driving after his vehicle was stopped due to way it was being driving.

Ipswich Borough Council leader DAVID ELLESMERE writes about what needs to happen to solve Britain’s housing crisis.

An Ipswich woman will appear on Channel 5’s Blind Date TV show this Saturday in hope of finding love accompanied by her guinea pig.

An army veteran from Colchester who lost both legs in a bomb blast in Afghanistan has become an ambassador for an independent road safety charity.

Campaigners are calling for more scrutiny of police after strip-searches more than doubled over six years in Suffolk.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Ipswich Star daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24