Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 10°C

Search

Budget 2014: Flood repairs to get an extra £140m in this week’s Budget

14:56 17 March 2014

The new flood defence at Minsmere nature reserve.

The new flood defence at Minsmere nature reserve.

Archant

An extra £140m has been found in Treasury coffers for flood repairs and protection, the Chancellor will announce on Wednesday.

shares

In his financial blueprint George Osborne will say he has found the extra cash to pay for repairs and to help protect homes at risk from future tidal surges and heavy rainfall.

It comes after Norfolk farmer and drainage boss Henry Cator told MPs that Norfolk and Suffolk came within inches of being flooded when the tidal surge struck the East Coast in December.

The former chairman of the Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association, who is now chairman of the Association of Drainage Authorities, told the environment select committee it was time the Treasury realised that proper money needed to be invested in maintenance.

Treasury sources said the extra money was needed to repair homes to “retain the high level of protection they received this winter”.

He said that while existing flood defences protected around 1.4 m properties and about 965 square miles of farmland since the beginning of December – the government wanted to improve on that in the future.’

‘The exceptional weather this winter has led to damage in many parts of the country, and the Government has committed to doing everything possible to help the recovery.”

Ahead of Wednesday’s budget Mr Osborne announced that a new garden city will be built in the Thames estuary and the Government’s controversial Help to Buy scheme for home purchasers is to be extended until the end of the decade.

The development of a garden city at Ebbsfleet in Kent will initially provide 15,000 homes while the extension of Help to Buy for new properties - which had been due to end in 2016 - to 2020 will support the building of 120,000 additional homes, he said.

Mr Osborne signalled that Tories - like Bury St Edmunds MP David Ruffley and former chancellors Lord Lamont and Lord Lawson - who have been pressing for him to reverse the increasing numbers of middle earners being caught by the higher 40p rate of tax would be disappointed.

The Chancellor said that it was still his priority to lift more people out of taxation altogether through raising the personal allowance - which is widely expected to see a further rise to £10,500 in the Budget on Wednesday.

He made clear his irritation at Liberal Democrat attempts to claim the credit for the policy, which he said had been fully supported by the Conservatives in the coalition, and which benefited those on middle incomes and well as those at the bottom of the income scale.

“My priority has been to increase the personal allowance. That is what I have done in budget after budget. What that means is, yes, you are taking the low paid out of tax - which has been a long-standing Conservative ambition - but you are also helping those on middle incomes,” he said.

“It is only people right at the top, people on incomes of over £100,000 who don’t get the benefit. I think it is a very effective instrument for making sure that hard-working people keep more of their money and I am very proud to be part of a Government that has delivered that.”

• Suffolk Coastal MP Therese Coffey has called on the Chancellor to give bingo clubs a boost by reducing the tax paid by clubs to 15% – like many other forms of gambling.

• Follow our live Budget coverage here from midday Wednesday.

Related articles

shares

1 comment

  • £140m, peanut to what our Government hand out around the world, places such as Somerset will need ten times that much, just to get back on their feet, no doubt the farmers will lose everything this year, and will need funding to survive.

    Report this comment

    Keith Drury

    Monday, March 17, 2014

Ipswich Town have brought in 12 new players this summer.

The summer transfer window has now closed, during which Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy brought in a total of 12 new signings on permanent or loan deals.

A man has died at The Port of Felixstowe.

Investigators say their inquiries into the death of a contract worker at the Port of Felixstowe could take some time to complete.

Police are investigating

Further instances of vehicle crime were felt in Kesgrave on Sunday night after a car window was smashed, prompting a social media appeal for those with information to come forward.

Art on the Prom at Felixstowe last year

More than 100 artists will be exhibiting this weekend as Felixstowe stages one of its most popular events of the year.

Bradley Wiggins, far left, riding through Woodbridge during the first stage of the 2012 Tour of Britain

Tour of Britain spectators will get to see champion rider Sir Bradley Wiggins racing through Suffolk again when it comes to county this month.

East of England Ambulance Trust attended the scene

Emergency services were called to St Helen’s Street in Ipswich this afternoon, after a man was hit by a bus.

ANPR checking during multi-agency police operation

More than 2,000 uninsured drivers were deprived of their vehicles in just over two years, according to Suffolk constabulary figures.

Photo caption: (L-R) Courtney Culf, Cllr TJ Haworth-Culf, Cabinet Member for Customers, Communities and Leisure, Cllr Geoff Holdcroft, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Resources, Cllr Ray Herring, Leader of Suffolk Coastal District Council, Cllr Andy Smith, Cabinet Member for Economic Development and Coastal Management and Peter Lanceley, Operations Manager at Suffolk Coastal Norse.

Extra play equipment costing £150,000 has been unveiled to give youngsters a late summer boost.

Mr Wilson

Fire crews put out a car fire in Clacton today after passers by rescued a dog from the vehicle.

Police at the scene of the alleged attack.

The jury in the trial of two men accused of being involved in a plot to throw acid over a 22-year-old Suffolk beautician has retired to consider its verdicts.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages