Bury St Edmunds: Spate of vandalism on estate could be down to 11-year-olds, says top police officer
PUBLISHED: 18:32 15 March 2014
One of Bury St Edmunds’ top police officers has warned that “criminal damage is in the air” after a spate of incidents.
Outbreaks of vandalism and theft have occurred across the town in recent weeks, with police now starting to get to grips with the suspected culprits.
Among those believed to be responsible for a recent spate of attacks on the Howard Estate is a gang of 11-year-olds.
According to Sergeant David Hill, of the town’s East & West neighbourhood team, there were 15 separate incidents of criminal damage on the estate between November 30 and January 14, where “a gang of kids were on the estate, picking up stones and throwing stones at people’s houses”.
He said: “They are kids, just very young kids, only just in the age of criminality. That’s 10 years old, and they’re only a year older.
“We will deal with them accordingly and work with their families to get them on the straight and narrow.”
Sgt Hill revealed the actions at Wednesday’s public community tasking meeting, where vandalism on the Howard Estate was kept on as a priority.
“There’s criminal damage in the air and vandalism appears to be the flavour of the day at the minute,” Sgt Hill added. “We have had a spate in the town, especially on the estates – there has been a series, really.”
Two men were arrested last week over another spate of offences where 13 cars had their windscreens smashed in Barwell Road, The Vinefields, Minden Close, Honey Hill and Eastgate Street. Police are also linking a number of thefts of car badges to these offences. A 19-year-old man from Bury was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to a vehicle in relation to six of the above incidents, and also on suspicion of two criminal damage offences to buildings, and one theft of a badge from a Vauxhall Corsa on February 27.
A 19-year-old man from Haverhill was also arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to a vehicle in respect of one of the incidents.
Both men have been bailed to return to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on Wednesday, May 7 pending further enquiries.