July 22 2014 Latest news:
West Suffolk reporter
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Multi-million pound plans to create a new home for Bury Town Football Club are back on track after an injection of Government funding.
The club’s long-awaited move to a new ground on Moreton Hall has been boosted by news that the eastern relief road has secured another batch of funding, paving the way for a new secondary school that would be closely linked to the replacement for Ram Meadow.
The plans appeared to have been dashed last year when tenders for the project came in well over the £2.5million of funding available.
However, Suffolk County Council has since joined the parties involved in creating the site – which would also provide community facilities – and hope to integrate it more into plans for the secondary school.
A spokeswoman from St Edmundsbury Borough Council said it was working with the county council, the club and the Suffolk FA to reach an agreement where the football plans would be included in the planning application for the school.
“It is anticipated that any application for the school will be submitted in the autumn and determined either late in the year, or very early next year,” she said.
“The school will then be built to open in September 2016.”
Bury Town chairman Russell Ward said he had had doubts about the project after the problems with funding last year, and welcomed the latest twist.
“When Ram Meadow was built years ago, our clubhouse was temporary – it’s still there 36 years later,” he said.
“We can’t keep patching up indefinitely and something needs to happen. Everything seems to be falling into place.”