max temp: 12°C

min temp: 8°C


Bury St Edmunds: Police believe local man working alone is behind a spate of walk-in burglaries

18:11 25 July 2014

A local thief acting alone is believed to be behind a wave of walk-in burglaries in Bury St Edmunds after another spate of incidents.

A total of 13 properties in the town have now fallen victim to the culprit, who has repeatedly gained entry via doors and windows left open in the hot weather.

Detective Inspector Nick Power, who is leading the investigation, said patrols had been stepped up around the Howard and Priors estates in a bid to catch the burglar red-handed.

“Forensically we haven’t got much to go on, so we have to get people onto the street and catch them in the act,” said DI Power.

“I would say because of the geographical area where this is being committed, you need to know the rat runs and what have you, the alleyways, to get from one place to another without being seen by police officers.

“Having spoken to lots of criminals over the years, these types of individuals, the more people that are involved, there’s more chance you’re going to get loose lips.

“A lot of these offenders like to work by themselves - they commit the offence, and they don’t share that information with anybody.”

The latest burglaries took place overnight between Wednesday and Thursday.

In Westley Road, entry was gained to a house via an insecure window or door and a wallet was stolen from a bag in the hallway.

The second burglary occurred in Minden Drive, where a house was entered via an insecure rear patio door and a wallet was stolen along with more than £1,000 in cash.

All 13 incidents have happened within the past month, with items stolen including games consoles as well as handbags, wallets and cash.

While DI Power said patrols had been increased, it was “a massive area geographically” to try and police, and he called on the town’s criminal fraternity to report anyone who had recently become “flush with money”.

Despite issuing numerous warnings, police patrols are still continuing to find properties with insecure doors and windows.

He added: “We all get complacent. Unfortunately, we’re going to have a hot weekend this weekend, people are going to have a few shandies and it’s ‘right, lets got to bed’, and people forget about it.

“Last thing at night or early in the evening, don’t leave any window or door insecure.”

Anyone with information about these burglaries is asked to contact the Bury St Edmunds Priority Crime Team on 101 quoting reference BU/14/1822, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Motorists in Suffolk are being warned to watch out for traffic delays as three abnormal loads slowly make their way long the county’s roads over the next two weeks.

My husband baked a cake. I was warned this could happen, writes Lynne Mortimer.

Archant’s new Suffolk headquarters opened for business this morning at the junction of Princes Street and Portman Road in Ipswich.

An anonymous donor has handed £20,000 to a Suffolk charity helping disabled youngsters and families affected by cancer in what was labelled “an overwhelming act of kindness”.

An Ipswich man accused of raping a schoolgirl has been convicted by a jury.

Education bosses in Suffolk have welcomed latest figures which mark the county’s highest school attendance record in the last decade.

Hopes of saving a supported housing scheme for vulnerable young people in Ipswich are still alive as bosses delay making a final decision on its future.

Sending a text while driving most likely caused the death of a Suffolk airman, who lost control of his car moments after using his phone, an inquest has heard.

Work to rebuild the Princes Street/Queen Street area in Ipswich town centre is now centred on Giles’ Circus – but county chiefs have promised this will be clear by the time the Christmas lights go on next month.

Most read

Most commented


Show Job Lists

Topic pages


Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24