Colchester: Posters put up in pubs and clubs near Castle Park in fresh bid to solve murder of James Attfield
PUBLISHED: 21:03 05 September 2014 | UPDATED: 21:03 05 September 2014
Posters are being put up in pubs across Colchester by detectives in the latest effort to solve the murder of James Attfield.
The posters, showing CCTV images of six mystery men who have not come forward, are being displayed in pubs and bars close to the entrances of Castle Park in the town centre.
Mr Attfield, 33, of East Bay, Colchester, was stabbed 102 times by the lake in Castle Park, close to Guildford Road. He was found shortly before 6am on Saturday, March 29.
He was last seen during the previous night at the nearby River Lodge pub in Middleborough. He left shortly after 10pm and no confirmed sightings of him afterwards have been confirmed.
Detective Chief Inspector Simon Werrett, of Essex Police, said: “James liked to go out for a drink and many of the pubs he frequented were close to Castle Park.
“It is also quite likely that the people caught in these CCTV images may drink in these pubs.
“We originally issued 21 CCTV images of 23 people we wanted to identify and these six are the only ones that are yet to come forward.
“There could be numerous reasons as to why this is this case but we really need to find out who they are. They could hold crucial information that will help in identifying James’ murderer.
“I believe the answer to identifying them will lie within the community and especially those who go out in the town on a Friday night.”
Police are also still keen to speak to people who may have been in contact with Mr Attfield on social media before he died.
DCI Werrett said: “As part of the investigation into James’ murder, officers have been reviewing his social media activity. It appears he may have been in contact with a woman, via Facebook, who went on holiday around the time of Friday March 21 and was due back on the Saturday that he was killed.
“From posts James made on his page it is believed the woman likes dancing, pottery and may have sung karaoke with him. We would like this woman to contact the investigation team so she can tell us about her knowledge of James.
“Also if anyone was friends with James on Facebook and they haven’t yet spoken to police officers we would ask them to please get in touch.
“We also still want to trace a man and woman seen sitting on a bench in Lower Castle Park on the night before James died.
“They were seen sitting on a bench in Lower Castle Park, near to where James was found. They were spotted at 11.30pm on Friday, March 28, sitting at opposite ends of the bench, near a man who was sitting on the grass.
“It is unknown whether they knew each other, but they may have been a couple who had an argument earlier in the evening and so were sitting apart, not talking to each other.
“We now have an updated description of this couple; the man was white, of stocky build and had a shaved or closely shaved head, and was possibly wearing a white shirt. The woman was white, with pale skin and was wearing a skirt and possibly a blouse. She had black hair which was swept back into a pony tail.
“They need to contact us. It may be embarrassing or difficult for them to call but a man has died and it is vital they come forward.”
Anyone with information can call detectives at Essex Police on 101 and ask for extension 486160 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively they can ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. It has offered a £10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the person or people responsible for the murder.
To date, nine people have been arrested and are on bail to various dates.
A 25-year-old woman from Southend and an 18-year-old man, of no fixed address, have been bailed until September 15.
One 31-year-old man from Colchester arrested on the evening on August 7 was bailed to September 23. Three other people also arrested on suspicion of murder, two men aged 27 and 57, and a 27-year-old woman, have been bailed until September 24.
The 23 year old woman from Ipswich arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice has also been bailed until September 15.
Two men, aged 33 of no fixed address, remain on police bail also until late September pending further enquiries after they were arrested earlier this summer.