Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 7°C


Colchester: Mother and children flee fire in loft

14:15 26 January 2013

Firefighters were called to a home in Colchester

Firefighters were called to a home in Colchester


A MOTHER and her two children had to flee before firefighters put out a blaze in the loft of their Colchester home.


The fire in Sycamore Road broke out mid-morning on Saturday and three fire crews were called. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hoses to put out the fire within 40 minutes.

Station Officer Trevor Watson from Colchester fire station said: “When crews arrived at the property, a woman and her two children were already safely outside of the house.

“The loft area was heavily smoke logged and crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading to the house next door.

“It appears the fire started when an electrical cable overheated and caught fire to clothes and books stored in the loft area.”

Mr Watson warned about the dangers of electrical fires. He said: “In 2012 the Service was called to an electrical fire in a home on average every other day with 194 incidents between January 1 and December 31. “All too often it is the simple things that people could check for themselves that can lead to a serious accident. So we are urging everyone to make basic visual checks around the home to ensure its electrical safety.

“This check should look for old or worn flexes and make sure that all appliances are clean, well cared for and in good working order.”



The Buttermarket Centre will become a £35m pleasure palace

Excitement is building as Ipswich prepares to welcome a string of big-name restaurants as part of the Buttermarket makeover.

Felixstowe Beach Station not long before demolition in 2004.

Investigations are under way following clearance work at the former site of a historic railway station.

How well do you know your cars?

Test your knowledge in our car photo quiz and see if you can identify which car is which from just one small feature.

Company director spared jail

A Suffolk company director who crushed a worker to death was spared jail by a judge at Norwich Crown Court today.

The fire service cordons off an area near Marks and Spencer in Westgate Street where UK Power Networks works to find a  carbon monoxide leak

Marks & Spencer in Ipswich town centre was closed for most of the day after a carbon monoxide leak was detected.

Stores in Ipswich ready for Black Friday.

Black Friday is nearly upon us and it is set to kick off the busiest Christmas online shopping periods.

Foundation Street, Ipswich, around a century ago. Little remains of the ancient buildings in this street. This photograph was taken from near the junction of Lower Brook Street.

Foundation Street is one of the oldest streets in Ipswich, connecting the port with the town centre. Buildings which had stood for centuries were demolished in the early 1960s in what was then seen as “improvements”.

Hawkedon Veterinary Surgery is sponsoring a bag dispenser and bags for dog walkers to pick up and dispose of dog’s mess in Nowton Park, Bury St Edmunds. Left to right, Cllr Joanna Rayner and veterinary surgeon Rosina Page-Baker with Marley the dog.

A new initiative to reduce dog fouling in west Suffolk has seen dog bag dispensers installed at two popular parks.

Could the Crown car park be replaced by a prefab platform like this one at Manningtree?

Should Ipswich Borough Council spend £3million on doubling the size of the Crown Car Park – or go the whole hog and quadruple it at a cost of about £12m?

Annual Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre

The annual Christmas Fayre will see around 120,000 people descend on Bury St Edmunds over four days.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24