max temp: 15°C

min temp: 11°C


Colchester: Mother and children flee fire in loft

14:15 26 January 2013

Firefighters were called to a home in Colchester

Firefighters were called to a home in Colchester


A MOTHER and her two children had to flee before firefighters put out a blaze in the loft of their Colchester home.

The fire in Sycamore Road broke out mid-morning on Saturday and three fire crews were called. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hoses to put out the fire within 40 minutes.

Station Officer Trevor Watson from Colchester fire station said: “When crews arrived at the property, a woman and her two children were already safely outside of the house.

“The loft area was heavily smoke logged and crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading to the house next door.

“It appears the fire started when an electrical cable overheated and caught fire to clothes and books stored in the loft area.”

Mr Watson warned about the dangers of electrical fires. He said: “In 2012 the Service was called to an electrical fire in a home on average every other day with 194 incidents between January 1 and December 31. “All too often it is the simple things that people could check for themselves that can lead to a serious accident. So we are urging everyone to make basic visual checks around the home to ensure its electrical safety.

“This check should look for old or worn flexes and make sure that all appliances are clean, well cared for and in good working order.”


Police have released CCTV images of a man they wish to speak to after a home in Ipswich was burgled last month.

Halloween is just around the corner, meaning pumpkin carving and trick or treating will take over our lives for the next few days.

This week our iwitness themes was eerie Suffolk - open to anything that may spook or look odd.

A woman woke up to find a burglar in her bedroom last night after he had broken in using an axe.

Although the new Odeon building next to the Ipswich Regent may have been vacant for the past 11 years, it was once the place for blockbuster movies.

Everyday our readers send in photos to iwitness24 that they have taken while out and about along the Suffolk coast, visiting one of our many beauty spots or while relaxing in their own gardens.

When businessman Aidan Coughlan bought the historic Isaac Lord buildings, some of which date back to medieval times, there were people who thought he was mad.

Popular Pigs Gone Wild sculpture Elvis Porksley is back in the building after being returned to St Elizabeth Hospice this week.

Suffolk residents have been left scratching their heads after surveys on council services started asking personal questions about their race, religion, and sexuality.

Wondering if your house is also home to Casper the friendly ghost? Take this quiz and find out.

Most read

Most commented


Show Job Lists

Topic pages


Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24