Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 4°C

Search

Construction: Balfour Beatty rejects ‘opportunistic’ takeover approach from Carillion

PUBLISHED: 15:22 15 August 2014 | UPDATED: 15:22 15 August 2014

Balfour Beatty has set out its reasons for rejecting a takeover approach from Carillion.

Balfour Beatty has set out its reasons for rejecting a takeover approach from Carillion.

Balfour Beatty

Construction giant Balfour Beatty has set out a detailed rejection of the latest merger advances by Carillion after it turned up the pressure by claiming the tie-up could bring £175million in annual cost savings.

Balfour said the offer was unchanged from a proposal it had turned down earlier this week, and reaffirmed its rejection, while spelling out its doubts about the synergy claims.

It described the merger approach as “opportunistic” and reiterated that it had a “clear standalone plan for delivering value”.

However analysts at Investec believe that resisting a deal would prove a missed opportunity for troubled Balfour, which earlier this week disclosed a 53% slump in half-year profits, and is still looking for a new chief executive after the departure of Andrew McNaughton.

Balfour revealed on Monday that executive chairman Steve Marshall met Carillion counterpart Philip Green for talks a week before following the rejection of an earlier proposal.

But the potential tie-up has foundered on Carillion’s wish to cancel Balfour’s planned sale of its US business Parsons Brinckerhoff.

Balfour’s latest statement comes a day after Carillion set out what it said were the powerful financial benefits of creating a £3billion combined group, and disclosed that it had been in talks with major shareholders.

Carillion has also pledged an additional 8.5p per share dividend for Balfour investors.

Balfour responded to the pressure by saying it had “serious reservations” about the claims for synergies.

Today, in a more detailed response, the group that the proposals would mean cutting the size of its UK construction business by two-thirds, eating into potential profitability gains at a time when it looks well-placed to benefit from a recovery in the sector.

It also highlighted the risks inherent in executing a merger deal, saying: “The implementation programme would be complex, requiring simultaneous business restructuring, integration and outsourcing, at the same time as a significant IT change programme which is already under way.”

Balfour, whose UK Rail operations include bases in Ipswich and Colchestr, added that it had decided to sell the Parsons Brinckerhoff business in the US “as it did not deliver material competitive advantage for the group and added significant complexity”.

The sale process was “well advanced” and terminating it risked “damaging a significant part of the value of Balfour Beatty”.

Investec analyst Andrew Gibb said: “Unless Steve Marshall has a rabbit up his sleeve in terms of another suitor post a disposal of Parsons Brinckerhoff, the board’s rejection of Carillion’s proposed merger is likely to prove a missed opportunity for the shareholders of Balfour Beatty.

“In our view, Carillion’s merger looks compelling and far more attractive than relying on a management team at Balfour Beatty that has presided over shareholder value destruction in the past few years. A standalone Balfour Beatty does not look attractive, the Carillion deal does.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

This weekend sees the tapes go up on another season of speedway at Foxhall Stadium.

A restaurateur has been disqualified from driving for 18 months after being caught speeding 10 times within six weeks, including eight times on the Orwell Bridge.

Four people in Ipswich have been arrested on suspicion of Class A drugs offences after flats in town were raided today.

Police investigating the disappearance of Corrie McKeague are “clearly” missing “detective skills”, according to a former senior detective, but Suffolk police have hit back at the claims.

A host of cigarettes were stolen during a break-in at a newsagents in Needham Market in the early hours of Friday morning.

Ambulance crews have been held-up caring for patients at hospital emergency departments in Suffolk and Essex for more than five hours at a time.

More than one child is exploited in Suffolk every day, new figures have revealed, but a charity boss has warned this is “just the tip of the iceberg”.

The chief executive of national charity Mind has said leaders need to “turn rhetoric into reality” in order to truly bridge the gap between physical and mental health services.

The winner of the Great Pottery Throw Down says he has no intentions of becoming “super famous” – and just wants to carry on enjoying ceramics.

There have been calls for common sense over a series of partial road closures around Stowmarket, which are causing congestion on several main roads.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24