Coroner says accidental morphine overdose caused death of Rachel Gow
PUBLISHED: 14:00 12 March 2016
A young woman found dead on her bed had suffered two “traumatic events in quick succession” the coroner at her inquest has said.
Rachel Gow died on April 12 last year in what coroner Nigel Parsley said was an accidental, drug-related death.
The 27-year-old, of Moffat Avenue in Ipswich, was found to have had 20 milligrams per millilitre of morphine in her blood at a post-mortem examination.
The inquest heard the fatal dose for a human is around 0.15mg/ml.
Ms Gow was living with her parents when she died, a statement from her mother Caroline Ambrose said.
She had moved in with them when her husband said he wanted to end their marriage just weeks after the death of Ms Gow’s brother, Michael Ambrose, in a motorbike accident in July 2014.
Mrs Ambrose’s statement added she became aware of her daughter taking recreational drugs to cope with the emotional pain she was feeling after the loss of her brother, but had been determined to stop this and accomplished it by going away to stay with her aunt.
A statement from Cameron Ambrose, Ms Gow’s father, said it had been an extremely difficult time for the family, adding: “Rachel was always a happy person and she would always help anyone out, that was her nature.”
The inquest was told Ms Gow had sought help for mental health issues following the events she experienced in 2014, and Mr Ambrose’s statement added she made two attempts on her own life before her death.
Mr Parsley said: “From the evidence I have heard it is clear to me Rachel had suffered from two very traumatic events in quick succession. It is my belief that at some point Rachel took an accidental overdose, leading to her unplanned death.”