Days Gone By: A bird’s eye view of how our towns and villages have changed
PUBLISHED: 09:42 13 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:59 13 September 2017
July 1967. Felixstowe Ferry and Bawdsey at the mouth of the River Deben. The beach area in front of the sailing club has been considerably eroded since this photograph was taken half a century ago. Picture: JOHN KERR
Aerial photographs give a fascinating view of our towns and villages. Many changes are recorded in these views, writes David Kindred,
July 1967. The Felixstowe Ferry Sailing Club has a large area of beach between it and the mouth of the River Deben. Picture: JOHN KERR
The erosion at Felixstowe Ferry is shown in the two photographs taken in 1964, when the sailing club was far enough from the river for events to take place on the beach in front of the club.
When the photographs were taken dozens of sailing boats were stored there.
In Ipswich the landmark, Cliff Quay Power Station, has gone and the industrial area around what was Commercial Road has been replaced with Cardinal Park.
Since a 1970s photograph was taken over Woodbridge a road has been built taking traffic away from the town centre.
March 1994. Ipswich from over Felixstowe Road. The junction with Clapgate Lane and Bishops Hill is bottom left. The building top centre was formally opened as the Civic College by the Queen in 1961, this is now the site of the Suffolk New College. Part of the Waterfront is top left. Rosehill Road is in the foreground. Picture: DAVID KINDRED
What changes can you see in these photographs?
Write to David Kindred, Days Gone By, Ipswich Star/EADT, Portman House, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, IP1 1RS or send an e-mail.
Ipswich 1991. The Cox Lane car park area of Ipswich with Majors Corner and Carr Street bottom right. St Michaels Church (bottom left) in Upper Orwell Street, built in the 1880s, was severely damaged by fire in March 2011. St Pancras Church is left of centre with Christ Church close to the centre of the picture. The Earl Roberts public house in Cox Lane (centre) closed in 1998 and was demolished. The large complex of buildings (bottom right) were Co-op and Woolworth stores in Carr Street when this picture was taken. Picture: OWEN HINES
July 1967. Felixstowe Dock with the original basin in the centre. Work to excavate the dock basin began in November 1881, it was delayed when the contractors became insolvent. Work started again in 1883 and the basin was refilled in 2009. The area is now part of berths eight and nine, which opened in 2011. Picture: JOHN KERR
The Gainsborough and Greenwich housing estates, Ipswich, from over Landseer Road (across the bottom right corner). Cliff Quay power Station is in the background, which was brought into operation between 1949 and 1952 and closed in 1985. Demolition was in 1994. The three huge chimneys were brought down by explosives on November 27, 1994, watched by thousands from every vantage point. All Hallows Church, Landseer Road, is right centre. Picture: DAVID KINDRED
1970s. Woodbridge from over the River Deben with the rail line across the bottom of the picture. Quay Street and Church Street are on the left. The road taking traffic round Elmhurst Park had not then been built. St Johns Church is top centre. Picture: JIM EMPSON