Days Gone By: What makes The Saints area of Ipswich such a special place?
PUBLISHED: 12:30 31 May 2017
St Nicholas Street and St Peter’s Street in Ipswich are known as The Saints, writes David Kindred.
The streets are home to several restaurants and small, independent shops and businesses.
The streets are some of the oldest in Ipswich and still have many buildings dating back centuries. Several of the public houses in St Nicholas Street have closed, including the Oxborrows, the Hand in Hand and the Rose.
St Peter’s stands where there has been a church since at least the late Saxon period. In 1527, Cardinal Wolsey, who was born in Ipswich, closed the priory and took the site to build a new college with St Peter’s Church as the chapel. The project was short lived when Wolsey fell from favour.
St Nicholas Church was where the Wolsey family worshipped during the cardinal’s boyhood. St Nicholas Church is now the St Nicholas Centre with the Sanctuary Cafe and St Peter’s is now a centre for music and arts.
A statue honouring Wolsey now stands at the junction of St Nicholas Street, Silent Street and St Peter’s Street.
Although the businesses have changed and some buildings have been replaced, “The Saints” would be recognisable today to visitors from many decades ago.