March 10 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Pupils were evacuated yesterday after a fire began in a boys’ toilet block at a school.
The blaze broke out at Debenham High School in Gracechurch Street, Debenham, at around noon.
It is believed the fire mainly caused smoke damage. However a cubicle and toilet roll-holder were destroyed.
The school has 650 pupils. Headteacher Julia Upton said yesterday: “We had a small fire at the school today. We are working with the fire service to investigate the incident.
“We did evacuate the school and send pupils home which is obviously because the safety of pupils and staff is paramount to us. It was a precautionary measure as much as anything else.
“We will be open as expected tomorrow [December 10].”
Miss Upton said only minor damage had been caused. “We are not aware of how the fire started at the present time.”
A spokesman for Suffolk police said the force had been contacted at 1.30pm by the fire service saying they had been to the school at noon following a fire in a boys’ cubicle.
“We are looking into whether it is suspicious or not,” he said.
One appliance from Debenham and a second from Eye were sent to the scene.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to fight the fire and the incident was under control by 12.56pm.