Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 17°C

Search

Delay for inquest into Tunisia terror attack death of Felixstowe man Philip Heathcote

18:12 01 March 2016

Candles lit on beach at Sousse for victims of terror attack. Picture: Contributed

Candles lit on beach at Sousse for victims of terror attack. Picture: Contributed

Archant

Inquests into the deaths of Britons killed in a terror attack on a Tunisian beach – including Felixstowe man Philip Heatchote – have been pushed back as there is still an “enormous amount” of work to do.

The inquests had been expected to begin in November this year but Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith, who has been appointed as coroner, told families he was “sorry” the date had been moved to next year.

“I hope everybody understands there is an enormous amount of work to be done,” he said at a pre-inquest hearing held at the Royal Courts of Justice in central London.

Gunman Seifeddine Rezgui killed 38 people in the attack on the resort of Sousse in June last year, with terror group Islamic State (IS) claiming responsibility.

The court heard the Metropolitan Police had received 750,000 files from 40 computers and mobile phones seized by Tunisian investigators, while officers were preparing reports on each victim.

The coroner indicated the data could be reviewed for only relevant photo or documentary evidence.

He also ruled the scope of the inquiry should assess security at the beach and nearby RIU Imperial Marhaba Hotel before and after the attack on the Bardo National Museum in Tunis in March 2015, which left 22 people dead including one Briton.

A previous hearing heard the inquest will look at what, if anything, the UK Government and travel companies knew about the risk of an attack at the Mediterranean resort.

The coroner will also probe the “adequacy” of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s travel advice for the region.

The next pre-inquest hearing is expected to be held on May 25 this year. A date for the full inquest has been set for January 16 2017.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

A man has contacted police after an image was released following an alleged assault in Bentley last month.

Today we launch the first in a series of features looking back at Ipswich’s past - its famous faces, prestigious landmarks and the defining moments that helped shape the town.

A Suffolk cystic fibrosis sufferer who used exercise and bodybuilding to boost his lung capacity is “delighted and relieved” after successfully completing his first ever half-marathon.

A teacher at a former Suffolk boarding school who was jailed for 21 years for sexually abusing eight pupils is seeking leave to appeal his conviction.

A restaurateur has praised the ‘honourable’ parents of an Ipswich thief involved in a ‘dine and dash’ after they paid the £147 bill their daughter and her fellow diner left behind.

A secret bidder last week paid £6,200 for the iconic Ed Sheer-Ham artwork from the Pigs Gone Wild trail and today we can reveal the real buyer was actually Suffolk singer and star of the new Bridget Jones movie, Ed Sheeran.

Alex Jackson tried to stand up after the seemingly innocuous tackle. The 6ft 1in, 15-stone outside centre was playing rugby for the first time in three years, returning to Hadleigh Rugby Club’s second team at the age of 25.

Ipswich councillor John Cook said they owed it to people who needed a Labour government most to get it together and create an electable party.

A stark picture of the level of deprivation faced by tens of thousands of people across the county is painted today in a new report sponsored by the Suffolk Community Foundation.

Rush hour motorists travelling towards Ipswich on the A12 faced delays this morning due an overturned car.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24