September 1 2014 Latest news:
Saturday, February 15, 2014
Police plan to speak to the person who “NekNominated” a Colchester man who died after taking part in the drinking challenge, an inquest heard.
Isaac Richardson collapsed after drinking a cocktail involving a “large amount” of alcoholic drinks at the hostel where he worked in Woolwich, south-east London, on February 8, Southwark Coroner’s Court heard.
The 20-year-old, a former Colchester Royal Grammar School pupil, was reported to be the first British victim of the NekNominate game, which involves participants filming themselves downing alcohol, nominating someone to continue the game, and posting the footage on Facebook.
At the opening of an inquest into his death, coroner’s officer Steven Moss said Mr Richardson was involved in a “social network challenge called Neck and Nominate”.
“This involves mixing a large amount of drink and of different types and drinking them as quickly as possible and this is recorded,” he said.
“It is believed he had a large amount of drink and a cocktail of drink. Shortly afterwards he collapsed.”
People at the hostel tried to resuscitate Mr Richardson before ambulance crews arrived and he was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital shortly after 11pm, the inquest heard.
He died shortly before 1am on February 9.
A post-mortem examination has been carried out and the results of toxicology reports are expected in six weeks.
Detective Sergeant Roy Black told the inquest he did not “envisage” criminal charges in the case.
“The person who set the challenge has been identified and will be spoken to as soon as possible,” he said.
A phone from one of the witnesses has been seized along with CCTV footage from the hostel, he added.
Speaking after the hearing, Det Sgt Black said the person believed to have nominated Mr Richardson for the drinking challenge was not in the UK at the time.
Mr Richardson’s family did not attend today’s hearing as coroner Andrew Harris adjourned the inquest for a review on May 19.
The NekNominate craze is thought to have originated in Australia and has seen players consuming alcohol with dog food, engine oil and live goldfish.