May 6 2015 Latest news:
BY RICHARD CORNWELL
Thursday, November 22, 2012
AGREEMENT has been reached for the repair of a road which collapsed in front of a row of homes.
Residents have been told Andrew Close, Felixstowe, will be restored – but it will only be single carriageway.
Householders are pleased with the solution as some, following the sudden collapse of the road last summer, feared they might lose part of their small front gardens to provide enough roadway width.
One resident said: “It’s not a busy road and doesn’t lead anywhere, and as long as there is enough room for vehicles to turn and the dustcart to do the bins it will be fine.
“It’s been difficult for everyone because we are currently having to take our bins down the road to be emptied or even leave them there.”
Town and district councillor Margaret Morris said: “It will only be a single carriageway but there is a turning area.
“There will be sheet piling down to around 15 metres to shore up the area where the road collapsed and prevent a similar event happening in the future. I think everyone will be relieved to see the area back to normal.”
Talks are still going on about a public footpath which was blocked when the earth and road surface slipped down a slope towards the railway line and the rear of the Peewit Caravan Park below.
The path is closed and the closure order has been extended by Whitehall to keep it shut until May 24 next year.
Diversions are via Coronation Drive and Philip Avenue.
Collapse of Andrew Close caused a 15ft sheer drop and left it unsafe and too narrow for vehicles to use.
The road – built 12 years ago and which had a crack along its length for several years – is not adopted by the highways authority and is owned by Flagship Housing.
Flagship, which owns the residents’ bungalows, said there had been long-standing problems with the road and heavy rainfall in summer was also likely to have had an impact on its condition.