December 6 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Council bosses have pledged to remove a group of travellers who have moved on to a park following a popular seaside carnival.
Around 20 caravans have taken up residence on Langer Park in Felixstowe in the aftermath of the Felixstowe Carnival.
The annual event, attended by thousands of people, took place at the weekend.
After the panto-themed cavalcade, an evening of entertainment was laid on at Langer Park, which included music, demonstrations and performances on Sunday.
But since then travellers have taken up an “unauthorised encampment” on the large park, according to councillor Ray Herring, leader of Suffolk Coastal District Council.
He said council staff have met with the travellers and insisted steps would be taken to remove them “as soon as possible”.
“Suffolk Coastal District Council has been made aware of an unauthorised encampment on Langer Park, Felixstowe,” he said.
“We are fully aware of the inconvenience this may cause regular users of the park.
“Our staff have already visited the site and steps will be taken, in line with legislation, to remove the occupants from site as soon as possible.
“Before any action can be taken, we are required by law to carry out a ‘welfare audit’, together with Suffolk County Council, to establish the wellbeing of the occupants.
“Providing that no issues are identified during the welfare audit, appropriate action will then be taken to remove all the travellers, their vehicles and possessions from the site at the earliest opportunity.”