December 10 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, August 29, 2013
Community officials are keeping tight-lipped about the progress of work to renovate Felixstowe’s seafront gardens, which it is feared has stalled due to an ongoing dispute.
Questions are now being asked by visitors and people living in the town about what the current situation is, after claims workers have not been seen on the site for the last few days.
Confusion over the renovation work comes after it emerged last month there was a contractual dispute, relating to the £2.76million project, which had flared up between Suffolk Coastal District Council and the contractors, P Casey (Land Reclamation) Ltd.
Details of the issues have not been made public by either party.
Jack Cade, of Kirton, was visiting Felixstowe on Saturday.
He said: “I noticed that everything had been tidied away and there was no equipment and I thought that was strange.
“My son was down there on Friday and there was no activity and I was down there on Wednesday and there was still no activity.”
Despite attempts by this newspaper, the council declined to comment on the current situation with the work or the contractual dispute.
But speaking last month, Geoff Holdcroft, cabinet member for leisure and economic development, said: “Contractual issues have arisen which are now subject to legal proceedings and in the hands of the council’s lawyers.
“It would therefore be inappropriate to comment further, other than to say that we are working to find a positive solution to allow this important project to proceed as planned.”
Attempts were also made to discuss the work with the contractors, but no reply was received.