Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 11°C

Search

Felixstowe: Pledge over £2.7million seafront gardens work

PUBLISHED: 07:30 23 November 2012

Felixstowe's seafront gardeens - works starts in April on a £2.76m renovation.

Felixstowe's seafront gardeens - works starts in April on a £2.76m renovation.

Archant

REGENERATION of Felixstowe’s seafront gardens will cause a year of disruption – but the team behind the project are today pledging to keep disturbance to a minimum.

The contract for the £2.76million lottery-backed renovation is set to be awarded in March with a start made in April.

Project manager Corinne Cappell said: “We are expecting the works on site to be undertaken between April 2013 and April 2014.

“We will do our utmost to minimise disruption to the public during the restoration programme.”

She said that during parts of the work there would be closures of areas and parking restrictions.

Consultation was currently being carried out with the town council and other organisations so that the successful contractor could be made aware of any restrictions concerning working hours, access, parking and other issues. Officers are currently analysing the tenders submitted for the project. Work will be carried out in the Spa Gardens and also the South Cliff Gardens next to the town hall in Undercliff Road West to give them an exciting fresh new look, but also restore historical features.

The gardens are nationally important and are designated Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest.

The main work will involve restoring structures and enhancing the heritage features of the gardens, including refurbishing the ponds and small shelters, as well as creating a major new public shelter overlooking the sea next to Felixstowe Town Hall.

In addition there will be improved lighting and seating, a new heritage trail, improved public space, reinstated and enhanced gardens, CCTV, interpretation facilities, with much better accessibility and safety for all visitors.

Project board member Andy Smith said there had been concern over the style of planting and worries that it would all be shrubs. “That’s not the case and there will be a substantial amount of floral planting but not annual bedding plants,” he said.

The proposals show “considered and sustainable” planting of trees and shrubs, especially to encourage wildlife and migrating birds.

3 comments

  • I shall never understand these people who gives the go ahead to this kind of thing.This vast amount of money is an absolute waste and a disgrace because the vandals will have a hay day ruining it all and they will attack the Spa Pavilion.This is criminal.I am sure the Spa Pavilion could be kept open but the so called do gooders are more interested in wasting money.

    Report this comment

    Elise Moreton

    Friday, November 23, 2012

  • So another year where visitors find Felixstowe is a building site. I think that is about 7 out of the last 10 year including the south seafront groins, share space scheme and the central Felixstowe groins. Well done the planners for continuing to destroy the day visitor trade, whilst the councillors state they support it. Not saying it does not need doing but some rest bite would be nice. Also THEY are still going ahead with this even though the SPA is going to be a close derelict building in the middle of the scheme, I would have thought they would postpone it till some long term decision was made on the major building within the scheme.

    Report this comment

    A Smith

    Friday, November 23, 2012

  • Shame there's no money being set aside for future maintenance....any bets on how the gardens will look after a year or two? Still at least the revamped gardens will nicely frame a boarded up Spa Pavilion!

    Report this comment

    paul

    Friday, November 23, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Suffolk doctors say their “radical” scheme to reduce spending on prescriptions has pioneered the way for nationwide proposals announced today.

It may seem like something out of a sci-fi movie, but patients of the future will be able get medical advice from a digital doctor with Artificial Intelligence.

An Ipswich doctors’ surgery ranked inadequate by a health watchdog in December is improving, a new report claims.

An Ipswich drink-driver who was nearly three times the limit when he crashed into a telegraph pole after a night out has lost his licence.

Detectives investigating the murder of Dean Stansby in Ipswich last month have released images of potential witnesses who may hold vital information to help take the investigation forward.

Four new bundles of joy have surprised a goat-farming family in Bures St Mary – and we’re not kidding!

Government officials are hoping to halt an invasion of Asian hornets by encouraging the public to use a free smart phone app.

A Suffolk nurse has been sanctioned after a health regulator found she put vulnerable patients at risk of serious harm.

A firm under investigation in Norfolk for the “shocking” state of accommodation it housed teenagers in has been awarded a £3.5m contract by Suffolk County Council to look after asylum seeking children.

A sinful seven fundraising felons have helped boost the coffers of a Suffolk charity after being locked away for such misdemeanours as ‘trafficking wonky vegetables’.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24