September 16 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, August 14, 2014
A 90-year-old man died when he choked on a piece of meat, an inquest has heard.
David Hale was at his home in Meadow View, Flowton, near Hadleigh, when he was having a meat salad for lunch on May 31 this year.
His friend and employee, Isabella Nichols, tried to save him but despite her and neighbours’ efforts he died at the scene.
Kevin McCarthy, assistant coroner for Suffolk, said Mr Hale, who was a retired farmer, had been looking forward to moving to a retirement flat.
He recorded a narrative verdict of choking at the inquest in Ip-City Centre, Ipswich, but also referred to a heart operation he had last year.