max temp: 7°C

min temp: 4°C


Gallery: Replica Anglo-Saxon burial chamber unveiled at Sutton Hoo so visitors can get close to a king

12:00 21 April 2011

Sutton Hoo brings to life the magic and mystery of King Raedwald

Sutton Hoo brings to life the magic and mystery of King Raedwald's final resting place and take s you back 1300 years.; Elizabeth Rohde in the burial chamber.


VISITORS to an ancient Anglo Saxon burial site will now be able to take a step back in time like never before.


"We felt we needed to go one step further to bring the experience to life so that our visitors could connect emotionally with what is an incredibly powerful story of the death of a king"

Elizabeth Rohde, visitor services manager at Sutton Hoo

Heritage bosses at the National Trust’s Sutton Hoo centre, near Woodbridge, will today unveil a major new exhibition.

Work is now complete on a life-size replica of the ship on which Anglo-Saxon King Raedwald was buried in back in 626AD.

Visitors will be able to step into the chamber - the original of which was discovered at Sutton Hoo in 1939 - and sample the magic of the warrior king’s final resting place.

The display was raised to first-floor level last month with the help of builders from Gipping Construction and WPP Architects in Ipswich.

The exhibit, entitled The King is Dead, is officially launched tomorrow but visitors will be able to get a sneak preview today.

As part of the new experience people will not only be able to walk through the royal burial chamber to pay homage to the King and get close to his replica grave goods, they will also be able to experience the sounds and smells of the past.

Elizabeth Rohde, visitor services manager at Sutton Hoo, who has been spearheading the project, said: “It’s been a busy couple of months.

“We’ve raised and enclosed the replica burial chamber to enable visitors to step inside for the first time.

“We’ve changed the light levels for a candle effect, as well as added smells and sounds to create an authentic atmosphere.

“The king has undergone a makeover and the replica grave goods, which are full of craftsmanship, have been re-gilded. We’re delighted with the end result and really hope it will give visitors a unique experience.”

She said it was hoped that people would now be able to connect with the stories behind the world famous site.

“Until now, visitors have been able to walk to the atmospheric burial mounds and view the royal burial chamber from a distance,” she said.

“But we felt we needed to go one step further to bring the experience to life so that our visitors could connect emotionally with what is an incredibly powerful story of the death of a king.

“When Raedwald died it was a time of great change and upheaval. What we have done is re-created that night to try and give visitors a feel for what it might have been like. It is an important story, one of the greatest archaeological discoveries of all time and a vital part of our heritage.”

Related articles

The Buttermarket Centre will become a £35m entertainment complex

Cinema giant Empire has signed on the dotted line to move into the new £35million leisure complex being created in the Buttermarket Shopping Centre in the heart of Ipswich.

The incident happened in Duke Street (stock photo)

The victim of a violent attack during a party at an Ipswich flat has described how his arm was nearly cut off with a machete.

The Tories have, in theory, lost their majority at Endeavour House.

The resignation of Suffolk County Council’s former education spokeswoman Lisa Chambers from the authority has formally robbed the ruling Conservative group at Endeavour House of its majority.

East Anglian Air Ambulance

A motorist who was seriously injured in a crash on the A134 on Tuesday evening has died.

RAF Marham Tornado GR4 jets have taken part in bombing missions over Iraq.

Suffolk’s MPs are likely to provide a united front in support of the Government in any new debate on bombing Syria in the wake of the Paris atrocities.

New homes planned for Poplar Lane Sproughton.

Babergh councillors are today being urged to give permission for more than 600 homes on the edge of Ipswich – despite strong opposition from the town itself.

Undated handout photo issued by ITV of Kieron Dyer who has been revealed as one of the contestants for I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here! 2015. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday November 10, 2015. Also among the 10-strong line-up is Diana Princess of Wales biographer Lady Colin Campbell, fashion guru Susannah Constantine, Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley, TV personality Yvette Fielding, X Factor choreographer Brian Friedman and Union J's George Shelley. See PA story SHOWBIZ Celebrity. Photo credit should read: ITV/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Kieron Dyer was given a rare night of luxury after winning a stay at the Jungle Boutique Hotel, but tensions are running high in the I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here camp.

Empty homes are being tackled

Nearly 780 homes have been identified as “long term empty” in the Suffolk Coastal area – but housing chiefs are confident they are getting to grips with the problem.

Humber Doucy Lane, Ipswich.

A couple aged in their 70s were injured during a robbery at an Ipswich home.

Izzy Alder

An 18-year-old woman who failed to arrive at school today has been found.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24