Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 17°C

Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Hadleigh/Ipswich: Heating engineer found guilty of health and safety failings in case that followed customer’s death

09:18 09 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer has been found guilty of health and safety failings relating to the servicing of a customer’s boiler who later died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Peter Sykes, 68, a self employed servicing engineer from Castle Road, Hadleigh, is today awaiting the jury’s verdict on whether the failings also constitute the more serious charge of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Annette Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her home in Ipswich on December 5, 2012 – just 47 days after Sykes last serviced her oil-fired heating system. She was pronounced dead from carbon monoxide poisoning the following day.

Yesterday, the jury at Norwich Crown Court convicted Sykes of health and safety charges relating to the boiler inspection carried out at Mrs Coe’s property in St Edmunds Road on October 19, 2012. He was also found guilty of health and safety failings relating to another customer’s heating system.

The jury, which spent yesterday and much of Monday deliberating, is expected to make its decision on the manslaughter charge today along with one remaining health and safety offence.

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

A 20-year-old man from Ipswich has been charged with allegedly kicking a female police officer in the face and biting her male colleague.

BHS in Ipswich.

With BHS set to close across the country by the end of August, retail bosses and politicians are now looking for an alternative use for the large store in Ipswich’s Butter Market Street.

Simon O'Brien-Ellington with his wife, Claire.

Paths are for people, not for cars. That is the driving force behind a campaign started by Ipswich man Simon O’Brien-Ellington who says badly parked cars block access for wheelchair users, parents with pushchairs and blind people.

Pupils at Sprites Primary School have a junior pig named Mudlet that they have painted as part of Pigs Gone Wild project.

Can your children create a brightly coloured pig to rival those that have popped up around Ipswich this summer?

England's Harry Martin in 2014.

The greatest sporting spectacle on the planet is almost upon us once again.

The Premier Inn hotel in Bury St Edmunds - council teams stayed at the Bournemouth hotel

They may be based just yards from each other – but Suffolk County Council and Ipswich Borough had very different bills at the end of their annual visit to the nation’s main event for local authorities.

Roadworks on Princes Street in Ipswich.

A year ago the Ipswich Vision was published – looking at how the town centre should be transformed to make it more attractive to shoppers and those looking for a day out.

Registered sex offenders missing

Six of Suffolk’s 700-plus registered sex offenders are currently listed as missing, police have said.

The Ipswich Borough Council building on Russell Road.

Ipswich Council is being reorganised in a bid to make the authority more focussed on attracting new business and jobs to the town.

Police are investigating

Police investigating a burglary at a house in Shalford, near Braintree, are searching for a group of teenagers seen in the area.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24