Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 2°C

Search

Hadleigh/Ipswich: Heating engineer Peter Sykes claims sudden system failure led to Annette Coe’s death from carbon monoxide poisoning

11:25 01 July 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer accused of killing a customer by failing to properly service their boiler has attributed the deadly build up of poisonous gas to a sudden malfunction he could not have foreseen.

shares

Peter Sykes, 68, told Norwich Crown Court he had thoroughly cleaned Annette Coe’s oil-fired heating system during an annual service on October 19, 2012 – just 47 days before she was found collapsed at her home in St Edmunds Road, Ipswich.

Mrs Coe, the 72-year-old mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was pronounced dead from carbon monoxide poisoning the following morning, December 6.

Sykes, who denies manslaughter by gross negligence, is accused of not clearing the chimney flue thereby allowing poisonous gas to circulate Mrs Coe’s home at fatal levels.

Giving evidence yesterday, Sykes, of Castle Road, Hadleigh, claimed a sudden fracture in the heat exchanger – where fresh air meets heated air – had caused the failure as it was the only part of the system he had been unable to check. He said it was not practically possible to do so.

However Sykes insisted he had carried out a thorough inspection of the system on October 19 and also claimed it was clean and operational when he returned to the property on December 3 to fit a replacement solenoid coil.

The self-employed heating engineer, who had carried out annual inspections at the house for more than 40 years, gave the court a detailed account of the steps taken during an inspection, the tools he used and the checks made to ensure adequate safety.

He said he followed a methodical routine from which he never deviated and would always check the flue and chimney for blockages.

“That would be the most important thing,” he said. “It’s a case of life and I value life a lot more than just skipping and skiving on a routine.”

Sykes also denies three further health and safety charges relating to Mrs Coe’s heating system and two other customers.

He disputed expert accounts of failures found in the heating system belonging to Melvyn Smith in Raydon.

And he said the high carbon monoxide readings found in Mary Blyton’s gas heating system in Woodbridge could be explained by the 15 month interval since his last inspection.

Although he admitted he should not have been servicing gas systems at all as he was no longer registered to do so, he said he only did it for friends.

Sykes told the court he had not worked since Mrs Coe’s death and said he had received more than 100 letter of support from customers thanking him for his service.

The trial continues.

shares
Rollerworld Colchester

A casting call to recruit keen skaters for a music video at Colchester’s iconic rollerblading venue has received 60 responses in just 24 hours.

Remnants of what is thought to be an 18th century ship found by Mark Hopkins on Thorpeness beach

Remnants of a what is thought to be a centuries-old shipwreck have resurfaced on the Suffolk coast.

Early morning sunrise at Southwold - visit the pier for a quirky day out

With Valentine’s Day nearly upon us, editor in chief Terry Hunt has shared his list of Suffolk’s top 10 romantic places - so there is no excuse not to make your beloved feel special.

How will you make your Valentine feel special this weekend?

A secret admirer has come clean about his feelings for a shop assistant in Ipswich - could you be the object of his affections?

An artist's impression of the street scene at Wolsey Grange.

Plans for hundreds of homes on the outskirts of Ipswich have been approved – despite being shot down at a previous meeting.

An early 'dishwasher' at the 1920 Ideal Home Show Exhibition - they don't build them like they used to

They don’t build them like they used - that is the sentiment of a Suffolk man who has finally scrapped his trusty dishwasher 27 years after it was first installed.

Beardmore Park.
lings

The relocation of a Martlesham garden centre, which had been facing closure, could pave the way for Marks and Spencer to expand its neighbouring store significantly.

St Mary-at-the-Quay church.

The medieval Waterfront building is undergoing a £5million transformation to become a multi-use community centre with a wellbeing and heritage centre theme.

The accident happened on the A12 at Chelmsford

All lanes have now reopened on the A12 at Chelmsford following an accident in which a man died this morning.

A few views of the river Stour at Flatford

From gusty wind and grey skies, to calm waters and a sneaky peak at the winter sun - this week has been a changeable one weatherwise.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24