Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 19°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Ipswich/Hadleigh: Heating engineer’s faulty service caused fatal poisoning of Annette Coe, 72, jury told

PUBLISHED: 08:56 18 June 2014 | UPDATED: 09:12 18 June 2014

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Annette Coe who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

A Suffolk heating engineer’s negligent failure to properly service the boiler of a 72-year-old customer was the cause of her death from carbon monoxide poisoning, a court has heard.

Annette Coe, mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her Ipswich home in December 2012.

Peter Sykes, 68, a self-employed servicing engineer from Castle Road, Hadleigh, appeared before Norwich Crown Court yesterday charged with her manslaughter.

He also faces three counts of health and safety failings involving Mrs Coe’s boiler and those of customers in Raydon and Woodbridge.

Sykes, who denies all the charges, had serviced Mrs Coe’s oil heating system for about 40 years.

He carried out the last service at her St Edmunds Road property on October 19, 2012 – just 47 days before she was found collapsed and unconscious by her son.

William Carter, prosecuting, told the court that Sykes’ failure to clean the flue of Mrs Coe’s oil-fired heater caused a blockage, which resulted in “poisonous gas circulating around her home at fatal levels”.

“The defendant’s failure was grossly negligent to the extent, the crown alleges, that his actions amount to the criminal offence of manslaughter,” he said.

The court heard that two of Mrs Coe’s daughters, Sarah Licence and Bridget Coe, had raised the alarm on the evening of December 5.

They became concerned after their mother, who lived alone, failed to answer the phone.

Alerted by Bridget, William Coe arrived at the property at around
11pm.

He noticed the atmosphere in the kitchen seemed “hazy” and
entered to find his mother lying unconscious on the floor, the court was told.

She was taken to hospital, where doctors described the level of carbon monoxide as “extremely high” and said nothing could be done. She died on December 6.

Investigations carried out the following day revealed the flue was “completely blocked” with almost 11kg of debris.

Mr Carter, reporting the inspectors’ conclusions, said the defendant’s service had fallen “far short of the expected standards of competency”.

Inspections of other boilers serviced by Sykes also revealed shortcomings, leading to two further health and safety charges.

Mr Carter said an oil boiler
belonging to Melvyn Smith in Raydon was “declared immediately unsafe”.

And a Mexico gas boiler, which Sykes had been servicing for Mary Blyton at her bungalow in Woodbridge for the past 15 years, was classified as “not simply unsafe, but as immediately dangerous”.

Sykes, who is not on the gas safe register “should not have had anything to with the gas boiler at all”, the court heard.

During police interview after Mrs Coe’s death, Sykes was said to have claimed he carried out a proper service and cleaned the flue.

The trial continues.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

A woman and three teenagers have appeared in court charged with Class A drugs offences in Ipswich.

A new housing plan set up to oversee the building of just under 10,000 new homes in Ipswich by 2031 sparked a heated debate at a full council meeting tonight as several councillors had their say.

Concerned members of the public phoned police today reporting that a fight had broken out between a large group of children.

Bosses of a Felixstowe care home have lauded their staff for snapping quickly into action and heeding advice from the health watchdog after it was told it must make urgent improvements.

A proud daughter is preparing to run the inaugural Great East Run in Suffolk this weekend to raise money for a cause close to her heart.

A Suffolk father whose flight was cancelled by Ryanair at just a week’s notice because the company messed up its pilots’ rota has had to fork out hundreds of pounds so he can still take his son to see their favourite football team play.

Mystery surrounds the return of Christchurch Park’s most famous feathered friend as several reported sightings of Mabel prompted a community group to celebrate her arrival.

Plans to regenerate a derelict former industrial site off Hadleigh Road in Ipswich with more than 120 homes have been given the green light.

When Ipswich brewers Tolly Cobbold went on the expansion trail in the 1930s they built some rather grand pubs, in Ipswich and beyond, in a mock baronial style.

A quarter of girls and one in 10 boys show signs of depression at the age of 14, new research has revealed.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24