Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 3°C

Search

Ipswich/Hadleigh: Heating engineer sentenced to community service following a string of health and safety offences

PUBLISHED: 19:35 28 July 2014 | UPDATED: 22:13 28 July 2014

Annette Coe

Annette Coe

A Suffolk heating engineer who was found guilty of a string of health and safety offences following an investigation into the death of an Ipswich woman was yesterday sentenced to 300 hours’ community service.

At an earlier trial, Peter Sykes, of Castle Road in Hadleigh, had been cleared of manslaughter by gross negligence but was found guilty of five health and safety failings relating to work he carried out for Annette Coe and other customers.

Mrs Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her home in St Edmunds Road on December 5, 2012. She died in hospital the following day.

The court heard that an investigation found Sykes, 68, had failed to service and repair the heating system at Mrs Coe’s home, which resulted in poisonous carbon monoxide building up in her home.

Following the sentencing at Norwich Crown Court yesterday, tributes were paid to Mrs Coe by her family, who described her as an “amazing lady”.

A family statement read: “The last 18 months have been very difficult and we are now glad this hurdle has been cleared and we can move forward.

“Our mother was an amazing lady. We all miss her terribly but we can at least now try to put the tragic events of her death behind us so we can focus on the future and share all the great memories of our wonderful mum/grandma.”

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Inspector Trevor Prior of Suffolk police said: “We conducted a meticulous investigation with the Health and Safety Executive following the tragic death of Mrs Coe.

“This established that her death was due to deadly carbon monoxide, which was allowed to build up in her home as a direct result of Sykes’ failure to maintain her heating system.

“This case sends a clear message that the police can and will work closely and effectively with other agencies to bring offenders to justice.”

HSE Principal Inspector Vicky Fletcher added: “Working on gas appliances is difficult, specialised and potentially very dangerous. It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings.

“HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who break the law in this way.”

Paul Rose from the Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC) said: “Had this installation been properly maintained, the sad death of Mrs Coe could have been avoided.”

Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, also called on all customers to check their engineer’s ID card and that they are qualified.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More checks have been carried out in Ipswich by police investigating the murder of a man earlier this year.

Suffolk firefighters have managed to put out a blaze which sparked in a shed in Rushmere St Andrew this evening.

A lifelong Ipswich Town fan is to jet off on a 1,000-mile round trip from Madrid to Portman Road and back again to make sure he sees his oldest son play in a cup final.

Work to restore the Broomhill lido in Ipswich are set to take a significant step forward as new operators Fusion Lifestyle put the final touches to their application for millions of pounds of National Lottery funding.

A high-profile former politician will bring plenty of pomp to a leading role in a spectacular family pantomime in Suffolk.

Posters have been put up in Ipswich calling for bus passengers to help in a police enquiry.

Broomhill pool was opened in 1938 and for 65 summers was a popular attraction for Ipswich swimmers – especially youngsters attracted their on hot days.

As the prospect of Suffolk losing a key slice of Constable country to Essex rears its head, the chief executive of the council under threat has intervened.

Two fire engines are currently at the scene of a fire in Rushmere St Andrew.

Suffolk’s tourism industry is facing a major headache ahead of the arrival of the Tour of Britain cycling race – but it’s the kind of problem businesses will relish.

Most read

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24