Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Ipswich: Is Suffolk strangler Steve Wright set for new appeal bid over his murder conviction?

PUBLISHED: 17:47 03 December 2012

Steve Wright has reportedly launched a fresh bid for freedom

Steve Wright has reportedly launched a fresh bid for freedom

Archant

SUFFOLK serial killer Steve Wright is reported to be on the verge of launching a fresh bid for freedom.

Wright, 54, was jailed for life after being found guilty of murdering five prostitutes in the Ipswich area in late 2006.

The bodies of Gemma Adams, Tania Nicol, Anneli Alderton, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls were found over a 10-day period.

His brother David, 53 - who regularly visits Wright at Long Lartin Prison in Worcestershire - reportedly told a national newspaper his sibling was lining up a third bid to overturn his conviction.

But Wright’s father Conrad said he didn’t want the saga to be brought up again.

He said yesterday: “I have never heard a thing from Steve. He has never come to me to say he is innocent. But if he was innocent, he would have told me.

“I went to Belmarsh after Steve had been charged and he refused to see me. If he was innocent, he would have seen me.

“If he is guilty, he has to take his punishment.

“I don’t want this being dragged up again. It upsets me and it’s upsetting for all those people in Ipswich affected by what happened. They are upsetting a hell of a lot of people.”

Wright’s first appeal against his conviction was rejected in July 2008.

His second, in February 2009, was thrown out by the Court of Appeal, who ruled his trial was fair and his conviction safe.

Wright had argued his trial should not have been held in Ipswich and that his defence team did not properly challenge forensic evidence.

Related articles

A man in his late 20s has been arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after he crashed his car in Ipswich.

A woman in her 30s was rushed to hospital after two men dressed in black hoodies threw a mystery liquid into her face during a “random” attack.

The family of Corrie McKeague will today be out on the streets of Bury St Edmunds talking to members of the public to mark the year anniversary of his disappearance.

As the deadline for Stars of Suffolk nominations approaches, organiser Mick Parker is looking ahead to the “emotional and wonderful” annual ceremony that brings together the county’s unsung heroes for one night of celebration.

An 18-year-old woman who went missing from her home in Essex has been found safe.

The BurySOUND music competition is looking for up and coming bands to sign up for next year’s event - as it celebrates its 20th anniversary.

Sunday’s inaugural Great East Run will see 3,000 runners tackling the half marathon course around Ipswich town centre, out to Freston and back.

Officials behind the Stars of Suffolk awards are urging people to make nominations for carer of the year.

A lorry driver has been released without charge following his arrest on suspicion of drink driving after his vehicle overturned on a roundabout just outside Ipswich.

Talented graphic design students at the University of Suffolk have put pen to paper to come up with a fresh logo for a key project on their doorstep – the Ipswich Vision.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24