Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 3°C

Search

Ipswich: Man, 73, left without power after house fire

PUBLISHED: 08:00 16 January 2013

Firefighters were called to the home of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, whose external fuse box had caught alight. He is now without electricity.

Firefighters were called to the home of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, whose external fuse box had caught alight. He is now without electricity.

Archant

A DISABLED pensioner has been left without electricity after a fire broke out in a nearby fuse box.

Neighbours of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, Ipswich, raised the alarm yesterday morning after his external electrical fuse box had caught fire.

Two fire crews were called to the scene at 4.25am and were able to douse the flames.

Mr Keeley, who uses a mobility scooter, said he was in shock when he awoke to discover firefighters were by his bedroom window.

“It was like a scene from a film,” Mr Keeley said.

“I woke up to all these flashing lights and the firemen were yelling at me ‘Don’t come out here’. It was quite shocking.”

Mr Keeley, whose wife Patricia died last March, said he did not smell any smoke or fire, but was grateful to the firefighters for acting so quickly.

Neighbour Anne Grey, 51, phoned the emergency services after being alerted to the smell of smoke by another neighbour.

She said: “There was a distinct smell of acrid smoke coming up and the firemen were here within minutes.

“They used hand-held fire extinguishers to put out the flames really quickly and were brilliant with us. They stayed for at least two hours to make sure it didn’t go back on fire.

“It’s hard to say what caused it.”

Following the blaze, Mr Keeley was left without any electricity in his home.

He added: “I’ve got no electricity, no hot water, and no heat.

“The council wanted me to move into a homeless shelter but I was told I wouldn’t be able to bring my parrot, Malcolm, and two cats Sam and Timmy.

“I said if they don’t go, I won’t go. I want to stay put with them. They’ve all I’ve got left.”

Mr Keeley last night said the council was arranging for his energy supplier to either fix or replace the damaged fuse box.

Related articles

0 comments

More checks have been carried out in Ipswich by police investigating the murder of a man earlier this year.

Suffolk firefighters have managed to put out a blaze which sparked in a shed in Rushmere St Andrew this evening.

A lifelong Ipswich Town fan is to jet off on a 1,000-mile round trip from Madrid to Portman Road and back again to make sure he sees his oldest son play in a cup final.

Work to restore the Broomhill lido in Ipswich are set to take a significant step forward as new operators Fusion Lifestyle put the final touches to their application for millions of pounds of National Lottery funding.

A high-profile former politician will bring plenty of pomp to a leading role in a spectacular family pantomime in Suffolk.

Posters have been put up in Ipswich calling for bus passengers to help in a police enquiry.

Broomhill pool was opened in 1938 and for 65 summers was a popular attraction for Ipswich swimmers – especially youngsters attracted their on hot days.

As the prospect of Suffolk losing a key slice of Constable country to Essex rears its head, the chief executive of the council under threat has intervened.

Two fire engines are currently at the scene of a fire in Rushmere St Andrew.

Suffolk’s tourism industry is facing a major headache ahead of the arrival of the Tour of Britain cycling race – but it’s the kind of problem businesses will relish.

Most read

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24