Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 16°C

Search

Ipswich: Man, 73, left without power after house fire

PUBLISHED: 08:00 16 January 2013

Firefighters were called to the home of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, whose external fuse box had caught alight. He is now without electricity.

Firefighters were called to the home of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, whose external fuse box had caught alight. He is now without electricity.

Archant

A DISABLED pensioner has been left without electricity after a fire broke out in a nearby fuse box.

Neighbours of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, Ipswich, raised the alarm yesterday morning after his external electrical fuse box had caught fire.

Two fire crews were called to the scene at 4.25am and were able to douse the flames.

Mr Keeley, who uses a mobility scooter, said he was in shock when he awoke to discover firefighters were by his bedroom window.

“It was like a scene from a film,” Mr Keeley said.

“I woke up to all these flashing lights and the firemen were yelling at me ‘Don’t come out here’. It was quite shocking.”

Mr Keeley, whose wife Patricia died last March, said he did not smell any smoke or fire, but was grateful to the firefighters for acting so quickly.

Neighbour Anne Grey, 51, phoned the emergency services after being alerted to the smell of smoke by another neighbour.

She said: “There was a distinct smell of acrid smoke coming up and the firemen were here within minutes.

“They used hand-held fire extinguishers to put out the flames really quickly and were brilliant with us. They stayed for at least two hours to make sure it didn’t go back on fire.

“It’s hard to say what caused it.”

Following the blaze, Mr Keeley was left without any electricity in his home.

He added: “I’ve got no electricity, no hot water, and no heat.

“The council wanted me to move into a homeless shelter but I was told I wouldn’t be able to bring my parrot, Malcolm, and two cats Sam and Timmy.

“I said if they don’t go, I won’t go. I want to stay put with them. They’ve all I’ve got left.”

Mr Keeley last night said the council was arranging for his energy supplier to either fix or replace the damaged fuse box.

Related articles

Comments have been disabled on this article.

The first weekend of the school summer holiday got off to a wet start this morning with festival goers waking up to grey skies and rain at Jimmy’s Farm, near Ipswich.

A man who tried to import a child sex doll into the UK through Stansted Airport and was then found to have more than 35,000 indecent images of children has been spared prison.

A Bramford motorcyclist who has admitted causing the death of his pillion passenger through dangerous driving by having a defective rear tyre has been warned he could be jailed.

A man has been charged with possessing an imitation firearm, with intent to cause fear of violence, following an incident in Ipswich on Thursday.

In the past week children across East Anglia exited school gates sheepishly clutching brown envelopes with a look of dread writ large across their faces.

The family of missing Corrie McKeague are “devastated” by the news that they may now never know what has happened to the 23-year-old RAF gunner, after police called off a 20-week landfill search.

The family of a seven-year-old girl from Bury St Edmunds in urgent need of a stem cell transplant is calling for as many people as possible to join the register.

Firefighters faced the difficult job of containing a blaze that broke out in several isolated parts of a Suffolk field.

Police have abandoned their search of a landfill site after 20 weeks looking for the body of missing airman Corrie McKeague.

Owners of Felixstowe pier have announced that the new building will open to the public this month.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24