Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Ipswich: Row blows up over threat to Suffolk children’s centres

PUBLISHED: 09:00 14 July 2014 | UPDATED: 16:42 14 July 2014

Sandy Martin.

Sandy Martin.

Archant

Opposition Labour councillors in Suffolk have launched a broadside at county council plans to shake up children’s centres – which could lead to the closure of nine buildings across the county.

Thursday’s meeting of the full council is set to approve the setting up of a review into the way children’s centres are run in Suffolk.

One of the options to be considered in the review is to close nine buildings across the county.

The centres under threat are:

Brett River, Hadleigh;

Jigsaw, Thurston;

Meredith, Ipswich;

On Track, Haverhill;

Quayside, Ipswich;

Reydon and Southwold;

Roman Hill, Lowestoft;

Sea Breeze, Felixstowe;

Woodlands, Glemsford.

Labour group leader Sandy Martin said: “There seems to be no logic as to why they have chosen to close some Children’s Centres rather than others.

“Meredith Children’s Centre in Ipswich is not expensive per child to run, it is in exactly the right place to help those that need it most and there are 26 other centres that are less well attended that are not being closed.”

He feared there could be further cuts following the review which is also due to look at staffing levels across the service.

Mr Martin was backed up by Ipswich council leader David Ellesmere – who is hoping to win the town’s parliamentary seat in next year’s general election.

He said: “Children’s Centres are there to give our children the best possible start in life. The Conservatives say they are concerned about the problems families face – closing Children’s Centres is a funny way of showing it.”

The county is hoping to save £2.9 million from running its children centres by 2017 – but insists services are not being cut.

Gordon Jones, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for children’s services, said: “Children’s centre staff can spend a disproportionate amount of time managing buildings, so for some this would release time that could be better spent with children and families.

“I am absolutely clear that none of the services currently provided by children’s centres will be lost if these proposed changes go ahead.

“They will just be delivered differently, whether that’s from a nearby location or direct to families in their homes.

“Children’s centres provide much-needed support to families and we will do everything we can to ensure those services continue to make a difference to people’s lives.”

Any final decisions would be made by county council’s cabinet in December 2014, following analysis of the consultation responses. Any changes would be implemented from April 2015.

2 comments

  • LEAVE OUR CHILDREN CENTRES ALONE!

    Report this comment

    Natalia Alderson ッ

    Monday, July 14, 2014

  • Tory policy.....Private Schools for the rich elite......while the plebs children can walk down to the food bank with mum !, we will soon be on a level with some of the South American countries !

    Report this comment

    freedomf

    Monday, July 14, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

An Ipswich man who drove along the A120 in Essex while more than twice the drink-drive limit had been out wetting his baby’s head, a court heard.

Organisations from across Suffolk have shown support for the people of Manchester after Monday night’s atrocity at the Arena concert.

Suffolk police are taking part in a pre-planned terrorist training exercise today just hours after a suicide bomber killed more than 20 people, including children, and injured nearly 60 others in Manchester.

Campaigning for the General Election both locally and nationally has been suspended in the wake of the terrorist atrocity in Manchester.

A three-foot grass snake escaped a watery fate thanks to attentive homeowners and an animal rescuer.

Trains between Ipswich and Lowestoft were cancelled this morning, due to overrunning engineering works.

A motorist who was petrified of going to prison after committing his fourth drink-driving offence has been branded as “selfish” and “ignorant” by the mother of a Suffolk man killed by a drink-driver.

One of Ipswich’s most prolific pilferers has become the first shoplifter to be given a criminal behaviour order banning him from all the shops in the town centre.

The death toll from the Manchester bomb attack has risen to 22, with 59 injured, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins said.

Couples thinking about having a baby are invited to meet fertility experts at an information day.

Most read

Most commented

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24