Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 18°C

Search

The pigs have arrived. See the latest

Pigs Gone Wild

news here.

Ipswich: 9p a week council tax rise approved while opposition Tories are divided on plans for alternative budget

20:04 26 February 2014

Conservative group leader Chris Stewart.

Conservative group leader Chris Stewart.

Archant

Ipswich council voted to put up its element of council tax by fractionally under 2% during a budget debate which saw the small Conservative opposition split over its own amendment.

The Labour-run authority proposed the budget which will see council tax bills for occupiers of a Band B house – the most numerous in the borough – rise by 9p a week.

However Tory leader Chris Stewart put forward an alternative budget that would have seen £1 million taken from reserves and a further £90,000 raised from increasing the number of shows at the Regent theatre allowing a council tax freeze, investment in filling potholes, and encouraging new national retailers to come to the town.

Mr Stewart said: “At a time when we are frequently being reminded of the financial pressure on hard working families, it seems rather off message for the Ipswich Labour administration to be proposing to raise the rate of council tax.”

However his message did not go down well with his predecessor as group leader, John Carnall, or colleagues George Debman and Kym Stroet who all abstained when the amendment was put to the vote.

Council leader David Ellesmere, whose Labour group has an overwhelming majority on the council, said the amendment was flawed in many ways.

“There are fewer shows at the Regent, but that is because there will be work there from May until August putting in new air conditioning and heating. It’s not available then.

“The potholes are the responsibility of the county council and they have shown no wish to co-operate with the borough since they took back the contract to maintain the roads in the town from us last year!”

Presenting the budget proposals, Mr Ellesmere said the council was continuing to face serious cuts in government funding. Since 2010 the grant to the council had fallen by 42% – a total of £5 million.

“Despite this, we have built the first council houses in a generation, we are about to start work on more than 100 homes in Bader Close and we are looking at building 300 council homes over the next three years.”

The borough was determined to protect services, and the budget would ensure it could continue to support people and businesses in the town.

5 comments

  • why are the council spending even more money at the regent the theatre its best part of the year unused unlike the cliff pavilion at Southend which most nights has a show on and big names always have it in their tour, this venue is also owned by the council so is something wrong with the management set up ,as for the council holding large sums of money for a rainy day i suggest they look outside at the at the storm and start using some of it,as for the week conservatives look over your shoulder U.K.P are coming,

    Report this comment

    pandy

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

  • Yet again we are reminded that this Council is building new Council houses - how does this help all those who will suffer the increase in Council Tax?

    Report this comment

    Johnny

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

  • Funny that, I could have sworn they were freezing Council Tax?

    Report this comment

    Ipswich Entrepreneur

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

  • Unfortnately right wing politics will never succeed in a town which had been built on socialism and labour lies. Why people trust labour is beyond me. Their efforts are to create an environment where democracy no longer exists.. I hope the prudent amongst the local population dont vote for them when the opportunity arises.

    Report this comment

    Johnie Redwood

    Wednesday, February 26, 2014

  • 9p a week is hardly going to rock the boat. As for new council houses, new tenants can probably thank their lucky stars that the a lot of the money for those will come out of council tax charges for the many new apartments our council wishes to inflict on us along our waterways. Nearly 400 coming to completion at the waterfront and if they ever complete the whole project, taking the figure to nearly a 1000 more. Just getting to your council house will be the challenge soon.

    Report this comment

    Chris D

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Eastbound A14 traffic near the Copdock junction. Image: Keith Mindham

Drivers are currently experiencing long delays after a car crashed into the central reservation on the A14 eastbound at Nacton this evening.

Suffolk Police PCSOs (stock picture)

Two new PCSOs will be patrolling the streets of Bury St Edmunds from next January in a new step for local policing.

File picture of a car fire.

Firefighters were called to reports of three cars alight at a garage in Ipswich.

Andy Beckwith

A former Essex man who went missing in Gibraltar has been found “in good health”, police have said.

Police at the Ipswich v Norwich derby.

Suffolk Constabulary has yet to confirm it will have a presence at Ipswich Town games this season - including the potentially powderkeg Old Farm Derby.

A motorist involved in a crash on the A14 in which a teenager died will live with the “huge remorse” for the rest of his life, a court has heard.

Relax and unwind

When the weather is as glorious as this, you want to do nothing more than sit back and relax.

St Helena Hospice assistant nurse Emma Young reduced staff and patients to tears in Colchester after performing Adele's Make You Feel My Love. Pic: St Helena Hospice.

A video of an assistant nurse performing an Adele song at a Colchester hospice has gone viral.

Hugh O'Neill, headteacher of St Benedict's School, Bury St Edmunds.

Turbulent times are ahead for Bury St Edmunds schools with “chaos” predicted as the two and three-tier systems compete against each other.

A police officer stands outside the Olympia mall in Munich, southern Germany, Friday, July 22, 2016 after shots were fired. (AP Photo/Sebastian Widmann)

The gunman who shot dead nine people and injured 16 others at a Munich shopping centre was an 18-year-old German-Iranian man, police believe.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24