Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 6°C

Search

Ipswich: Call for people to take extra precautions to avoid being arson victims

PUBLISHED: 14:13 04 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:57 04 August 2014

Archant

Fire service chiefs today urged people to take extra precautions in an effort to curb arson incidents in south west Ipswich.

The fire service and police are working together in a bid to catch those responsible, following 18 reported incidents in the area since June last year.

The majority of the attacks have involved damage to trees or hedges, but firefighters have warned that they could have caused more serious damage if the fires had spread.

The fire service has now issued advice for people to avoid becoming victims of arson.

These include keeping your garden clear of rubbish and overhanging vegetation, storing bins behind a locked gate in the back garden, making sure you have at least one working smoke alarm on each floor and ensure you have a fire plan in place.

Inspector Roger Salmon, from the Ipswich South West Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: “Whilst many of these incidents involved damage to trees, hedges or wheelie bins, any of them could have resulted in more serious consequences had the fires spread to a nearby property.

“I want to reassure residents that we are investigating these incidents seriously and have increased the amount of high-visibility and specialist patrols in the area. We are currently working with Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service and are appealing for anyone who has information about the series to call police on 101. If you witness anyone acting suspiciously then call 999 immediately.”

1 comment

  • Good advice...apart from...Wheelie bin collections in our area now start at 6am and the council advise you leave your bins out the night before..When we called to ask why the bins hadn't been collected as we had put them out at 6.20 last week we were told they were collected at 6.07...I bet the first 2 hours of a refuse collectors day are pretty easy !

    Report this comment

    Ipswich Man

    Monday, August 4, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A 27-year-old man has been given a 12-month conditional discharge after a late-night fracas at an Ipswich kebab shop.

Ipswich Witches open their 2017 speedway season on Saturday night.

A man has been arrested after two men were spotted behaving suspiciously at Crown Pools, Ipswich, with the pool closed.

Holbrook Academy is closed today after a burst water main shut off its water supply – and a sinkhole has opened close by.

Five people have died after a knifeman brought terror to the heart of Westminster, mowing down pedestrians then stabbing an unarmed policeman before being shot by armed officers.

Two Suffolk walkers are taking on an epic challenge this summer to help veterans who are struggling to cope with life after the military.

James Cleverly paid an emotional tribute to his friend PC Keith Palmer who was killed in the grounds of Houses of Parliament and made a call for posthumous recognition.

Traffic using Woodbridge Road East in Ipswich is facing nearly a week of delays after engineers had to dig up the road after a problem with an underground gas main.

Students and staff from St Joseph’s College will be strutting the catwalk to raise money for East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) on Saturday.

A daredevil four-year-old boy from Kesgrave is causing a stir on social media with his incredible scooter skills.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24