July 30 2015 Latest news:
BY COLIN ADWENT
, Crime Correspondent
Monday, February 11, 2013
CAUGHT behind the wheel when banned for the 43rd time, defiant John Moir told police another jail term would not stop him from driving again.
SIMON Jacobs, a victim of road menace John Moir, believes it is only a matter of time before he kills someone.
Mr Jacobs was knocked down by Moir in August, 2010 as he walked home from Riley’s snooker hall.
Travelling at speeds estimated to be between 40 and 50mph, Moir ploughed into Mr Jacobs in Princes Street, close to the Post Office.
The father-of-two was left with life-changing injuries.
Reacting to Moir’s 43rd conviction – five more since he knocked into Mr Jacobs – the 45-year-old said the repeat offender should be put behind bars and the key thrown away.
“He has left me with a life sentence, I will never get over my injuries,” he said.
“As a result of my brain injury I suffer something called ballistic rage because I can’t work, but this has left me seething.
“When he ran into me he got 18 months, but only served half.
“The next time it was 14 months and now 10.
“It is an insult. I believe it is only a matter of time before he kills someone. I was lucky but next time things could be very different. I just find it ludicrous, it is laughable.
“The justice system needs to listen up, they are playing a waiting game – eventually I believe he will kill someone.”
Today Moir, of Woodbridge Road, Rushmere St Andrew, is beginning a 10-month prison sentence after admitting driving while banned, having no insurance, and two charges of theft.
Heavily-convicted Moir flouted the law yet again, despite almost killing Simon Jacobs in a hit-and-run in Ipswich in August 2010, even though he was a disqualified driver at the time.
Moir received an 18-month prison term from Ipswich Crown Court when he was eventually captured.
During his latest case South East Suffolk Magistrates Court heard he was spotted driving by police last Wednesday, the day after his 46th birthday.
In the police interview that followed Moir said: “It’s a game of cat and mouse. I never admit anything. This isn’t going to stop me driving. Going to prison won’t stop me.”
Prosecutor Emma Howson told the court Moir – who has 52 previous convictions for 218 offences – was seen driving a silver Vauxhall Tigra on the Grundisburgh Road, Woodbridge, at 4pm on February 6.
When police checked they found the car belonged to Moir’s partner.
They stopped the vehicle and arrested Moir.
The court heard he admitted he had been driving while banned, but declined to answer any questions.
While before the court Moir also pleaded guilty to two thefts from vehicles in car parks over the Christmas period.
He stole toiletries and electrical items from a Vauxhall car at Flatford Mill on December 21, after smashing a rear nearside window.
Then on December 26 he committed a similar offence in Mill Lane, Dedham, where he stole items including an i-phone.
The i-phone was traced to his address as it had an application on it to track the phone if it was lost or stolen.
Magistrates were told Moir had 42 previous convictions for driving while disqualified, and also had 77 thefts on this criminal record.
His last conviction was on August 13, 2012, for driving while banned, resisting a police officer, and having no car insurance.
Moir was sentenced to five months’ imprisonment on that occasion.
For his latest offences Moir received a four-month jail sentence for driving while disqualified, and three months for each theft to run consecutively.
He was also received a 12-month driving ban to replace a two-year disqualification he was given on September 6, 2011.
Should Moir wish to apply for a licence after his ban expires he will have to take an extended driving re-test before he is legally allowed to drive a vehicle.