A fire which caused town centre shops in Ipswich to be evacuated yesterday may have been caused by an electrical fault.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

More than half a dozen fire crews were sent to Peacocks clothing store in Carr Street shortly after 10am when the blaze started.

Other shops on the same side of the street were evacuated with police quickly setting up a cordon to keep members of the public away from the incident.

The store remained closed after the fire had been extinguished and didn’t open today but staff at the store and Peacocks head office both declined to comment about how long it would be shut for or how much damage was caused.

However it is believed the most likely cause of the fire is an electrical fault.

The sprinkler system was said to have played a key role in keeping the blaze contained until firefighters arrived.

1 comment

  • MMMMMMM. And the FACT they are in administration didnt cross anyones minds here then. Stinks of an insurance job doesn't it?

    Report this comment

    Joe bloggs

    Friday, January 24, 2014

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...
iwitness24 Your news is our news Facebook Like your local paper Twitter Join the conversation Ipswich Borough Council

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT