Ipswich: Electrical fault could be the cause of a fire at Peacocks in Carr Street yesterday
19:00 23 January 2014
A fire which caused town centre shops in Ipswich to be evacuated yesterday may have been caused by an electrical fault.
More than half a dozen fire crews were sent to Peacocks clothing store in Carr Street shortly after 10am when the blaze started.
Other shops on the same side of the street were evacuated with police quickly setting up a cordon to keep members of the public away from the incident.
The store remained closed after the fire had been extinguished and didn’t open today but staff at the store and Peacocks head office both declined to comment about how long it would be shut for or how much damage was caused.
However it is believed the most likely cause of the fire is an electrical fault.
The sprinkler system was said to have played a key role in keeping the blaze contained until firefighters arrived.