Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 11°C


Ipswich/Hadleigh: Heating engineer sentenced to community service following a string of health and safety offences

19:35 28 July 2014

Annette Coe

Annette Coe

A Suffolk heating engineer who was found guilty of a string of health and safety offences following an investigation into the death of an Ipswich woman was yesterday sentenced to 300 hours’ community service.


At an earlier trial, Peter Sykes, of Castle Road in Hadleigh, had been cleared of manslaughter by gross negligence but was found guilty of five health and safety failings relating to work he carried out for Annette Coe and other customers.

Mrs Coe, 72, the mother of William Coe who runs Coes stores in Suffolk and Essex, was found collapsed at her home in St Edmunds Road on December 5, 2012. She died in hospital the following day.

The court heard that an investigation found Sykes, 68, had failed to service and repair the heating system at Mrs Coe’s home, which resulted in poisonous carbon monoxide building up in her home.

Following the sentencing at Norwich Crown Court yesterday, tributes were paid to Mrs Coe by her family, who described her as an “amazing lady”.

A family statement read: “The last 18 months have been very difficult and we are now glad this hurdle has been cleared and we can move forward.

“Our mother was an amazing lady. We all miss her terribly but we can at least now try to put the tragic events of her death behind us so we can focus on the future and share all the great memories of our wonderful mum/grandma.”

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Inspector Trevor Prior of Suffolk police said: “We conducted a meticulous investigation with the Health and Safety Executive following the tragic death of Mrs Coe.

“This established that her death was due to deadly carbon monoxide, which was allowed to build up in her home as a direct result of Sykes’ failure to maintain her heating system.

“This case sends a clear message that the police can and will work closely and effectively with other agencies to bring offenders to justice.”

HSE Principal Inspector Vicky Fletcher added: “Working on gas appliances is difficult, specialised and potentially very dangerous. It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings.

“HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who break the law in this way.”

Paul Rose from the Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC) said: “Had this installation been properly maintained, the sad death of Mrs Coe could have been avoided.”

Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, also called on all customers to check their engineer’s ID card and that they are qualified.



Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Bea the cat is recovering well

A cat has been found collapsed on an Ipswich doorstep 10 days after suffering serious neck injuries caused by its own collar.

Crown Pools in Ipswich, where a man reportedly exposed himself on Saturday.

A man has reportedly twice exposed himself to girls in the changing rooms of an Ipswich swimming pool.

Police are investigating the robbery.

A man was assaulted and threatened during a robbery in Ipswich on Saturday night.

Heart FM DJ Dave Taylor during the charity busking session on the Cornhill in Ipswich where he was accompanied by his producer Nick mellamphy and students from Ipswich High School for Girls.

Heart FM breakfast DJ Dave Taylor took on a charity challenge with a difference this afternoon – learning to busk classic songs with the help of high school students.

Police have cordoned off an alleyway between Blanche Street and Christchurch Street in Ipswich after a man was stabbed.

Police are hunting for three men after a man was stabbed in the chest in Ipswich last night.

Abellio Greater Anglia

Trains running between Essex and Suffolk and the capital face delays, alterations and cancellations due to a defective piece of track at Harold Wood.

The crash happened on the A14 westbound between Stowmarket and Woolpit.

Motorists have escaped injury during two crashes on the A14 today.

Dan Poulter with employees at B&Q

A Suffolk MP has said he will do what he can to try and prevent a B&Q store closing down with the potential loss of around 100 jobs.

Julian King and Ian Lea talk about custom bikes at the Copdock Motorcycle Show.

There was something for all motorcycle enthusiasts at Trinity Park over the weekend as a popular event returned for its 24th year.

Urban caterer chef, Simon Daniels cooking the goumet burger at K Bar and Grill, St Nicholas Street, Ipswich.

We all love a good burger, so we’ve picked out some of our favourites from across Suffolk.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages