max temp: 7°C

min temp: 4°C


Ipswich: Heart attack patient claims he could have died in his bed after paramedics said he could stay at home

15:19 19 October 2012

An investigation is under way at the East of England Ambulance Service after a patient raised concerns over his care

An investigation is under way at the East of England Ambulance Service after a patient raised concerns over his care


AMBULANCE bosses have launched an investigation after a patient claimed he might have died in his bed had paramedics left him at home suffering chest pains.


Trevor Harris says he suffered two severe heart attacks at Ipswich Hospital – just hours after paramedics gave him the option of staying at home.

The 63-year-old has lodged an official complaint with the East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST).

But ambulance spokesman Gary Sanderson said they could not comment while a clinical investigation is under way.

Mr Harris told The Star he woke in the early hours suffering chest pains.

The 63-year-old has esophageal cancer and so asked his wife Teresa to call Somersham Ward at the Heath Road hospital to speak to nurses, because he was concerned the pain was related to the disease.

But they told his wife to call 999 immediately.

“They [paramedics] were here very quickly,” he told The Star.

“They gave me an ECG and it proved normal. But then they asked me if I wanted to go into hospital.

“I was shocked they were asking me – I was under the impression that someone of my age suffering chest pains should be seen by a doctor.”

Mr Harris said his wife insisted he go into the A&E department after last week’s incident.

He said on the way into hospital he was still suffering chest pains and around half-an-hour after arriving at Heath Road he started to feel “strange”, fell unconscious and was told he had suffered a heart attack.

Not long afterwards, when he had been admitted to the Brantham emergency assessment ward, Mr Harris said he suffered another severe attack.

“They had to bring me back,” he added. “I felt all strange again and next thing I knew I was being told they had shocked me twice to bring me back because my heart had stopped.”

Medics at Ipswich immediately arranged for Mr Harris to be transferred to Papworth Hospital the same day, where he underwent a procedure to have a stent fitted to widen the artery in his heart.

Mr Harris added: “If I was left behind at home I might have died in my bed.”

n Tell us your experiences of the ambulance service. Write to health reporter at Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail


1 comment

  • so you were not having a heart attack at the time of paramedics arriving and the paramedics did take you to hospital in the end and then the hospital take an hour and half to see you whilst your still suffering with chest pains and you blame the ambulance service and not the doctors who have the drugsequipment tp prevent heart attacks???

    Report this comment


    Friday, October 19, 2012

Roundabout at Ropes Drive West where the traffic light trial has been taking place

A trial switch off of the traffic lights at Ropes Drive west in Kesgrave will be extended into the new year, following feedback from the public.

Police joined forces with partner agencies for the operation

People were arrested and vehicles seized in a series of police checks carried around in Ipswich and Thetford this week.

A barge on the River Gipping at Bramford around 1895. The road bridge and St Mary’s Church are on the left.

Beautiful countryside, with pleasant walks, fishing and picnic areas are how most now see the area around the River Gipping.

Cyber fraud suspect rebailed

A 32-year-old arrested on suspicion of conning an east Suffolk business out of more than £1million in cyber fraud has been re-bailed.

Woolverstone Wish appeal hits the half million mark.  Fundraisers and supporters meet on the site

Work is at last under way on a long-awaited and desperately needed new £3.7million state-of-the-art cancer centre – after a stunning past 12 months of fundraising.

Ipswich council leader David Ellesmere at the former sugar beet factory site off Sproughton Road.

A new Enterprize Zone involving 10 development sites across East Anglia, with the potential to create 18,500 jobs, was announced by Chancellor George Osborne today.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, delivering his joint Autumn Statement and Spending Review to MPs in the House of Commons
Photo: PA Wire

The Chancellor’s Autumn Statement and Comprehensive Spending Review today divided opinion between unions employers.

The Buttermarket Centre will become a £35m entertainment complex

Cinema giant Empire has signed up for a new £35m leisure complex being created in the Buttermarket Shopping Centre, Ipswich.

Natalie Moloney, of Woodbridge events firm Pink Lemonade Productions.

An entrepreneur is up for a fifth business award since her event planning company launched last year.

Pictured is Tim Yeo

Former Tory MP Tim Yeo has lost his libel action over a “cash-for-advocacy” claim which he said trashed his reputation.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24