Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Ipswich: Man, 73, left without power after house fire

08:00 16 January 2013

Firefighters were called to the home of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, whose external fuse box had caught alight. He is now without electricity.

Firefighters were called to the home of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, whose external fuse box had caught alight. He is now without electricity.

Archant

A DISABLED pensioner has been left without electricity after a fire broke out in a nearby fuse box.

Neighbours of Russell Keeley, 73, of Emmanuel Close, Ipswich, raised the alarm yesterday morning after his external electrical fuse box had caught fire.

Two fire crews were called to the scene at 4.25am and were able to douse the flames.

Mr Keeley, who uses a mobility scooter, said he was in shock when he awoke to discover firefighters were by his bedroom window.

“It was like a scene from a film,” Mr Keeley said.

“I woke up to all these flashing lights and the firemen were yelling at me ‘Don’t come out here’. It was quite shocking.”

Mr Keeley, whose wife Patricia died last March, said he did not smell any smoke or fire, but was grateful to the firefighters for acting so quickly.

Neighbour Anne Grey, 51, phoned the emergency services after being alerted to the smell of smoke by another neighbour.

She said: “There was a distinct smell of acrid smoke coming up and the firemen were here within minutes.

“They used hand-held fire extinguishers to put out the flames really quickly and were brilliant with us. They stayed for at least two hours to make sure it didn’t go back on fire.

“It’s hard to say what caused it.”

Following the blaze, Mr Keeley was left without any electricity in his home.

He added: “I’ve got no electricity, no hot water, and no heat.

“The council wanted me to move into a homeless shelter but I was told I wouldn’t be able to bring my parrot, Malcolm, and two cats Sam and Timmy.

“I said if they don’t go, I won’t go. I want to stay put with them. They’ve all I’ve got left.”

Mr Keeley last night said the council was arranging for his energy supplier to either fix or replace the damaged fuse box.

Related articles

0 comments

A crewman has died after a boiler backfired in the engine room of the Manhattan Bridge container ship as it was docking at Felixstowe port last night – causing an “explosion”.

Being a grown up usually means a life of responsibility, stress and mature behaviour, but you know what they say about ‘all work and no play’...

More than half the homes in Suffolk are in the bottom two council tax bands it has emerged.

A Suffolk man has been evicted from his hospital bed by court order after he “unnecessarily” refused to leave for more than two years.

The number of people caught carrying a bladed weapon in Suffolk has risen to its highest level for six years.

Just months after former Suffolk footballer Shaun Whiter was left for dead after a horrific hit and run accident, he is set to take on a 150-mile cycling challenge.

A 42-year-old man arrested following a two-day stand-off with police has been released on bail and will be taken into the care of health professionals.

The morning skies have been putting on a striking show of colour and light over Suffolk this week.

A seven-year-old girl was taken to hospital after the car she was travelling in came off the road and hit a wall.

Ed Sheeran may soon be performing live on stage once more – hot on the heels of his latest album’s release.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24