Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 5°C

Search

Ipswich: Pensioner’s shock at charity shop service

11:00 06 December 2012

Joan Russell is upset that the cooker she bought from the British Heart Foundation shop in Ipswich didnt work properly and the cord attaching it to the wall was cut with a kitchen knife when the BHF came to pick it up.

Joan Russell is upset that the cooker she bought from the British Heart Foundation shop in Ipswich didnt work properly and the cord attaching it to the wall was cut with a kitchen knife when the BHF came to pick it up.

Archant

A SHOCKED pensioner was left with a wire dangling from her kitchen wall after a charity shop delivery driver cut the cord of her faulty oven with a bread knife.

Joan Russell, of St George’s Street, bought a cooker from the British Heart Foundation shop in St Matthew’s Street in November.

The 68-year-old paid £140 for the Hotpoint cooker plus £20 to have it delivered the following day.

Miss Russell then paid an electrician to have the cooker fitted.

She then turned the cooker on to discover that two of the hobs and half the grill didn’t work, despite the cooker having a sticker attached to it saying it had passed a safety test the day before she bought it.

She contacted the shop to complain and they agreed to come and pick the cooker up and refund the money.

When the delivery driver arrived to collect the cooker, he couldn’t disconnect the wire from the wall as it had been screwed into a panel on the wall.

He asked to borrow a bread knife and cut the wire while the shocked 68-year-old looked on and then left the length of wire hanging out of the wall.

“It really shocked me,” she said. “If I didn’t know to turn it off, that could have been a live wire. It’s not about the money, it’s just the principle of the thing. I’m so disgusted.”

BHF deputy retail director Diane Locke said: “We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any distress caused to Miss Russell. The generous support and donations from the public are vital to our life-saving work.

“We pride ourselves on selling immaculate second-hand furniture and electrical items and are extremely disappointed by the quality and service Miss Russell received.

“Safety is paramount to us and in response to this incident we will be reviewing and implementing any further training needed to ensure our staff are fully briefed in future.”

1 comment

  • I had problems last year there it took writing to there head office to complain to resolve the complaint. Very poor shop.

    Report this comment

    a west

    Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The train lines from London to Ipswich have now reopened after a man was hit and killed by a train between Colchester and Manningtree earlier today.

An Ipswich Burger King franchisee must pay out nearly £180,000 for health and safety breaches before and after a worker was scalded with hot oil.

Two fire engines have been called to Upper Brook Street this afternoon after reports people could smell petrol in the area.

A motorcyclist is reported to have suffered a leg injury after a collision in Ipswich at 2.35pm today.

Through our iwitness24 site, readers are able to share their photos of Suffolk’s top beauty spots, of landmarks and of some of our amazing wildlife in action.

Our judging panel put Christmas food from the supermarkets to the test.

The death of a “kind, caring” mother signals the end of an era in Suffolk, her eldest son has said.

From children’s books and Lego, to slippers and jigsaws, let’s help give every patient at Ipswich Hospital a present this Christmas.

Photographers have turned their focus on texture this week for our iwitness challenge.

A cyclist who was killed in a crash in Hitcham this week has been formally named by police as 72-year-old Colin Taylor.

Most read

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24