Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 10°C

Search

Ipswich: Rape accused had previous sex assault prosecution and admits lying to police, court told

12:14 07 August 2014

Police guard the scene of the alleged rape in Cromer Road, Ipswich.

Police guard the scene of the alleged rape in Cromer Road, Ipswich.

Archant

A man accused of an alleyway rape has admitted lying to police and being prosecuted for a previous sex assault.

During cross-examination by prosecutor Emma Nash at his Ipswich Crown Court trial it was suggested Mohammed Sabir had even given police the impression he was a virgin at the time of the alleged rape.

Sabir, of Westholme Road, Ipswich, denies dragging a 27-year-old woman into an alleyway next to his father’s Cromer Road home and raping her.

Miss Nash also suggested to the 21-year-old that he had only admitted having consensual sex with the woman when he was confronted by overwhelming DNA evidence before the start of his third police interview.

During the previous two interviews lasting a total of 86 minutes he had denied being in the alleyway or having sex with the women.

Sabir claimed he had already decided to tell the truth during his third interview with officers and retract his previous assertion that he had been in his father’s house watching television.

Miss Nash asked Sabir: “Are you saying if the officers had not told you about the DNA evidence before the third interview you would have admitted lying and having sex with her.”

“Yes”, he replied through a Kurdish Sorani interpreter.

When asked why he would have changed his mind Sabir said because he had not forced the woman to have intercourse.

Sabir said: “I was scared and later on I said I didn’t force myself (on her). I wouldn’t do such a thing near my house. In our culture it’s not acceptable to do things near your own house.”

Miss Nash suggested to Sabir the real reason he changed his story was that he was confronted with the DNA evidence.

He replied: “I told the truth because nothing else was going through my mind, just the fact that I did not force myself (on her).

The court heard Miss Nash say Sabir had continued to lie during his third interview.

He told officers he had never been in a similar situation.

Speaking to Sabir she said: “It was a lie that you have never been in such a situation before because you had been arrested and prosecuted for a sexual assault four years before.”

Sabir replied “Yes.”

Sabir had claimed he felt pressured into having sex with the woman after she asked for three or four pounds to have intercourse.

The jury heard he told officers it was the first time he had been approached like that in the street.

Miss Nash said it was the prosecution case that he lied when he answered their next question by suggesting it was the first time he had had sex. Sabir had told them he had never encountered a woman before.

The alleged rape is said to have taken place at around 8.30pm on March 3.

The trial continues.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Seven “very serious” medical errors were made at Suffolk and Essex health trusts within six months this year, sparking calls for action by a watchdog.

Work on one of the biggest new housing developments in Ipswich for years – creating more than 200 new homes – could get under way early next year.

A car which broke down on the Orwell Bridge this morning has now been moved by police.

Father Christmas and his friends from the Ipswich Round Table are preparing for the 2016 Rudolph Run but what route will they take this year and when will they visit your street?

Amid the maelstrom created by the Steve Wright murders in 2006 London gang violence erupted at a town nightclub and claimed the life of a young man.

Hundreds of readers have already backed the Ipswich Star’s campaign calling for a northern bypass – and it’s not too late to pledge your support.

Quiz teams converge on John Grose for charity fun and fundraising nights

A young woman suffered minor injuries in a road crash this morning.

When I first heard about the new deal negotiated between Suffolk County Council and First Buses to provide a Park and Ride service for the town at no cost, I thought it sounded very good indeed writes Paul Geater.

Police are at the scene of a two-car crash in Bramford Road.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24