Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 15°C

Search

Ipswich/Suffolk: New pothole battle set to be launched

10:00 08 May 2014

Pothole battle to be launched

Pothole battle to be launched

Archant

A new method of dealing with potholes and other road damage was outlined to county councillors yesterday.

But the opposition at the authority warned it could still leave many streets in Ipswich worse off than when the borough was responsible for road maintenance before they were handed back to the county last April.

And they criticised the fact that seven months after the new highways contract began, new methods of reporting problems are still being drawn up.

The county council’s scrutiny committee looked at how the contract with contractors Kier MG to manage Suffolk’s highways network was operating since the transfer of the service on October 1 last year.

The committee heard that new ways of reporting faults online were being drawn up – that would make it easier to get accurate reports on where problems were and make repairing the problems quicker and simpler.

A page for people to report potholes would be created on the county council’s own website and this should make it easier for the public to access.

However opposition transport spokeswoman Sandra Gage was disappointed that it had taken so long for problems addressing road problems to be addressed.

She said: “Kier MG took over the contract on 1 October, and there was a long lead-in time before they took on the services.

“Why is it only now, seven months later, that we are still waiting to get improved reporting systems up and running?”

She said some of the proposed changes should make it easier for members of the public to report problems – but there was no firm date for their introduction.

The committee also recognised the importance of a dialogue between Ipswich council’s area committees and the highways department – and would be recommending that to the county’s cabinet.

Ms Gage said: “In other parts of the county, the main point of contact for the department is the parish council, but we don’t have them in Ipswich and we still need to have a dialogue.

“I’m pleased that scrutiny recognised the importance of the area committees in the town, and hope the cabinet accepts that recommendation as soon as possible.”

Cabinet member for roads Graham Newman said: “The changes are not just about Kier MG taking over the contract, there are other issues that came in too, and from that point of view six months is not such a long time.

“The new online reporting is now starting to come in and hopefully the benefits will soon be seen.”

Mr Newman said he accepted that, and looked forward to working with the area committees. He said: “I already attend them, but it is often when they want to have a moan. It will be nice to go along as a matter of course to explain how things are improving!”

4 comments

  • The trouble is there are too many to report.Would be easier to report where there aren't any!!!

    Report this comment

    Mary Mary

    Thursday, May 8, 2014

  • "New battle set to be launched" ?, maybe motorists ought to make the government 'battle' to get our Road Fund Licence money and our exorbitant 'Fuel Duty' in the same way ?. here we have another 'successful' tory privatisation which just isn't working !!

    Report this comment

    freedomf

    Thursday, May 8, 2014

  • Another 'successful' Tory 'privatisation' ?, it does not matter what particular way 'one' addresses the problem, just address it in the same way that the government take our Road Tax money which keeps increasing and of course the Fuel Tax which is the highest in the world !, so our roads ought to be the best ??, not the worse !!, there are no excuses !!

    Report this comment

    freedomf

    Thursday, May 8, 2014

  • We used to phone the Highways Dept, talk to someone who knew every inch of Suffolk, and he sent someone out to fix the problem. What was the matter with that? Too simple? Too cheap? No fat profit for mega corporations?

    Report this comment

    Blackeye

    Thursday, May 8, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A 62-year-old motorcyclist who died at the scene of a two vehicle collision near RAF Barnham on Thursday has been named as Peter Hancock from Sudbury.

It’s been nearly 50 years since women workers at Ford’s Dagenham plant went on strike for equal rights, writes Wayne Savage.

Police have released an e-fit image of a man they want to speak to in connection to a burglary in Braintree.

A fire engine from Ipswich’s Princes Street station was called to extinguish a fire in a pile of rubbish this morning.

Daniel O’Donnell superfans queued up at the Regent Theatre in Ipswich this morning to grab a ticket to see their idol - some getting there as soon as 5am to secure a seat near the front.

Jeremy Corbyn has been re-elected as the leader of the Labour Party.

Parents of an Ipswich boy who died due to an optometrist’s negligence have pledged their support to a campaign to raise eye health awareness, hoping it will prevent a similar tragedy.

Border patrols are reported to have been stepped up along Suffolk’s coast following widespread criticism of the slow response to a recent people smuggling investigation.

Firefighters have been called to a small rubbish fire in Princes Street, Ipswich.

Police are investigating after a 12-year-old boy was approached in Ipswich.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

MyDate24 MyPhotos24