July 4 2015 Latest news:
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
A three-time drink-driver has been banned from the road for four years and ordered to pay fines and costs totalling nearly £1,000.
Mark Clarke, of Stone Street, Crowfield, near Ipswich, pleaded guilty to driving while above the legal alcohol limit and not having a valid MoT certificate, when he appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court.
The 40-year-old denied he had a drink problem after being banned on two previous occasions in the past 12 years.
Clarke was caught by police on March 2 while driving a black Mercedes C220 on Bury Road in Ipswich.
Prosecutor Lesla Small said an officer stopped Clarke’s car after just after noon it was travelling at 43mph in a 30mph zone.
During their conversation Clarke told the officer he had consumed alcohol and had been drinking with friends.
Clarke was arrested and given a breath test.
The reading showed he had 66 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.
Clarke had previously been caught drink-driving in May 2002 and May 2009. On the last occasion he had been disqualified from driving for 27 months.
Clarke’s solicitor told the magistrates: “This man does not have drink problems. It was simply an issue where he made a mistake.
“He realises he has been stupid.”
In addition to Clarke’s four-year ban he was fined £700 for the drink-driving offence and £100 for failing to have a valid MoT certificate.
He was also ordered to pay £85 towards prosecution costs and £70 to the victims’ fund.
A second drink-driver was also banned when he appeared before the same court.
Elviss Kemezs, of Suffolk Road, Ipswich, admitted drink-driving, having no insurance, and not having a valid licence.
The 19-year-old was caught by police at the junction of Chevallier Street and Bramford Road when he was driving a black Lexus Sport on January 11.
He had 77mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath.
Magistrates disqualified Kemezs from driving for 22 months.
He was also giving fines totalling £450 as well as being told to pay £85 costs and £20 to the victims’ fund.