April 23 2014 Latest news:
By Hollie-Rae Merrick
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
A WORLD champion kickboxer from Ipswich has been suspended from the sport over an event which had been due to take place at a nightclub in the town.
The allegations made by the International Kickboxing Federation (IKF) against Marlon Hunt surround a financial dispute over a cancelled evening of fighting at Liquid in Cardinal Park in October.
The suspension prohibits Mr Hunt, who is an 11-time world champion, from taking part in all IKF sanctioned events.
In a press statement released to The Star, Steve Fossum, president and CEO of International Fight Sports which presides over IKF, said: “Following unresolved issues with regards to his aborted promotion on Saturday, October 6 Mr Marlon Hunt has been suspended from all IKF sanctioned events.
“This suspension will remain in place until such time that Mr Hunt makes good on outstanding financial payments to both the IKF and to affected parties who have received cheques that have failed to clear and also until such time as a full written explanation has been received as to why he failed to provide the level of medical cover that is clearly laid down in IKF Europe guidelines.”
In the statement, the IKF also state their decision wasn’t taken “lightly”, was one they had hoped to avoid, and was made after Mr Hunt failed to respond to their attempts to make communication.
The IKF also forwarded details of the action taken to the International Sport Kickboxing Association, the World Association of Kickboxing Organisation and the International Combat Organisation.
No action was taken in regards to Mr Hunt’s kickboxing titles.
Mr Hunt, who grew up in Ipswich but now lives in Onehouse near Stowmarket, said he had been unaware of his suspension.
The 34-year-old said he had not been informed by the IKF of their intentions to suspend him.
The action taken against Mr Hunt, who teaches kickboxing locally, is in relation to an event he organised and promoted at Liquid nightclub on October 6. It is alleged that cheques given to those who were involved in the event, which was cancelled shortly before it was due to begin, failed to clear.
However Mr Hunt disputes the allegation, claiming he paid fighters’ expenses in cash. He said he didn’t pay them for fighting because the event never took place.
Mr Hunt said spectators at the event were offered a full refund on the night.
Mr Hunt said he hadn’t received any communication from the IKF informing him of the suspension, but said both parties had been in disagreement on the night of the event due to the arranged medical cover cancelling in the run up to the event.
“We had a disagreement over the way they have acted. They weren’t any help at all (on the day of the event).”
Mr Hunt said he was going to appeal the decision and had sought legal advice on the matter.
The pro kickboxer said he had been disappointed with his treatment by IKF on the day of the proposed fight, after they failed to show up on time for weigh-ins.