October 26 2014 Latest news:
BY HOLLIE-RAE MERRICK
Thursday, February 21, 2013
A DISGRUNTLED man has voiced his concerns after council officers approved plans to shorten a treasured cedar tree.
A number of years ago Ray Burgess, of Carlton Road in Kesgrave, successfully applied for a preservation order to be put in place for a cedar tree outside his home.
But today, he spoke of his sadness after Suffolk Coastal District Council agreed the top of the tree could be lopped following a complaint from a neighbour of Mr Burgess.
Mr Burgess, 69, said: “Cedar trees have an important place in the history of Kesgrave and I am so disappointed and annoyed that this is going ahead, despite a preservation order that I secured many years ago.
“By cutting the top of the tree off, the council will stop people enjoying it from a distance. They will ruin this beautiful tree by cutting such a massive amount off the top of it.”
However, a spokesman for Suffolk Coastal District Council said the decision had been made after safety concerns were raised.
The spokesman said: “An application was submitted by Mr Burgess’ neighbour after discussions with our tree officer about what could be done to resolve the problems he was facing with a 20m-plus cedar tree in his garden which has a preservation order dating back 24 years that was initiated by Mr Burgess.
“It was agreed that about one-third of the tree could be lopped so as to end the dangers of bits of the tree falling down into this resident’s garden.
“The tree and the proposed works have been assessed by both our previous and current tree officer who both came to the same conclusion that the proposed works were a reasonable request.”
He said the work would allow the tree to “survive and prosper”, while also ensuring the safety of the applicant.
Mr Burgess’ neighbours declined to comment on the matter.