Kesgrave: Three interviewed by detectives in school abuse probe

Inquiry continues into school abuse allegations Inquiry continues into school abuse allegations

Tuesday, April 8, 2014
5:35 PM

Three men have been interviewed by detectives over allegations of sexual and physical abuse at the former Kesgrave Hall school.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Police have said no arrests have been made to date during the renewed inquiry which has been ongoing for just over 12 months.

The trio all attended their interviews voluntarily.

More than 20 people have now been spoken to after allegations from former pupils of the private school re-surfaced in December 2012.

At the time Suffolk Constabulary claimed in a reply to a Freedom of Information request by an ex-student that it did not have the files from the original inquiry in 1992.

However, following an intervention by Central Suffolk and North Ipswich MP Dr Dan Poulter the claim proved to be incorrect.

Mr Poulter wrote to the then Chief Constable Simon Ash who asked for the matter to be looked into.

Subsequently a new inquiry was ordered.

In 1992 the Crown Prosecution Service said there was not enough evidence to prosecute any of the alleged abusers following a complaint from a former member of the independent school’s care staff.

Four members of staff who had been suspended for seven weeks returned to their posts.

Kesgrave Hall, which was said to cater for children with emotional and learning difficulties, closed a year later.

The former pupil who contacted Suffolk police in 2012 said he felt compelled try to get a fresh inquiry following the publicity over calls for a re-investigation into abuse at childrens’ homes in North Wales.

The ex-student said “That abuse was prolific in residential institutions in the 1970s and 1980s. I witnessed it first-hand, and the story needs to be told.

“I wasn’t prepared to stand back and watch something being brushed under the carpet.”

Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Suffolk Police can confirm that three men have been interviewed in relation to allegations of historic offences at Kesgrave Hall boarding school ranging from the 1970s to the 1990s.

“All three men voluntarily attended the interviews and none were arrested at any stage.

“Officers continue the investigation and to date have spoken to around 22 people who attended the school at the time.”

Anyone who wishes to contact police relating to the inquiry should telephone 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

0 comments

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

loading...
iwitness24 Your news is our news Facebook Like your local paper Twitter Join the conversation Ipswich Borough Council

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT