Landfill search for RAF serviceman Corrie McKeague to resume next week
PUBLISHED: 08:31 21 October 2017 | UPDATED: 11:41 21 October 2017
The resumption of the search for Corrie McKeague at the Milton landfill site will begin next week, police have confirmed.
The extended search, which will begin on Monday, October 23, is expected to take around four to six weeks and will concentrate on an area of Cell 22 next to the site of the earlier search.
The indications are this is the next most likely area where Corrie could be, according to Suffolk police.
The force says careful re-checking of the data available to the major investigation team has concluded the area of the original 20-week search is still the location where there was the highest likelihood of finding Corrie.
However, police stressed that the nature of waste disposal and its movement is not a precise science, hence the requirement to extend the search.
The RAF Honington serviceman was last seen on a CCTV camera entering an alleyway in Brentgovel Street, Bury St Edmunds, just after 3.20am on September 24 last year. He had been on a night out in the town and had told friends he intended on walking back to the base.