max temp: 12°C

min temp: 2°C


Latest: Ipswich man among three charged with kidnap, blackmail and false imprisonment after secret Met Police raid

15:24 18 June 2014

Kidnap units from the Metropolitan Police were in St George

Kidnap units from the Metropolitan Police were in St George's Street, Ipswich, on Sunday evening


A man from Ipswich was one of three arrested in an evening raid by the Metropolitan Police’s Kidnap Unit in the town on Sunday.


And the force has confirmed a person “is now safe” as a result of the secret operation.

At around 7pm officers from the specialist unit closed off St George’s Street and entered a house to the shock of people living nearby.

The team, armed with guns and carrying shields, was there for around an hour but since then few details have emerged about what was going on.

It was revealed on Tuesday that three men were arrested during the raid and yesterday a spokesman for the Met said the trio had all appeared at Hammersmith Magistrates’ Court that day.

Razak Akander, aged 20 from Ipswich, and 22-year-old Kavin Gatore and 20-year-old Tyrone Kane, both from Clerkenwell, were charged on June 16 with false imprisonment, kidnap and blackmail.

They have all been remanded in custody to appear at Isleworth Crown Court on July 1.

Due to the sensitive nature of the operation, which is still ongoing, the Met were unable to release any details about the person rescued during the raid.



Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Museum bosses have gone back to the drawing board following their lottery bid rejection.

Hopes of a multi-million-pound lottery windfall for Ipswich Museum have been dashed – forcing borough chiefs to reconsider the ambitious £23m project to transform the High Street campus.

Cannabis was found at Ipswich house

An illegal immigrant is facing a jail term after police found nearly 400 plants and seedlings at a cannabis factory set up in an east Ipswich house.

Orwell Bridge

A man from the Ipswich area has died after falling from the Orwell Bridge, police said today.

Suffolk County Council's cabinet arrived at Elstree today - the home of the Star Wars franchise.

The day after county councillors discussed cutting millions from the authority’s budget over the next two years, its cabinet members are on a £4,000 training course at the world famous Elstree studios.

Abellio Greater Anglia

Rail services running through Bury St Edmunds face delays of up to 25 minutes or cancellation due to a train fault.

Ben Gummer and Mark Pendlington at Ipswich rail station.

Campaigners seeking to improve rail services between East Anglia and London have insisted that the new report into infrastructure is good for the region – because it makes little reference to the route.


A broken down lorry is blocking the exit slip road from the A14 towards Felixstowe docks.

John Hobson, 65, of Mill Road in Colchester, who died following the crash

The partner of a man, who died following a crash in west Suffolk, has paid tribute to her “one true love”.

Alison Wheeler and Tony Brown.

Suffolk’s libraries are facing budget cuts of more than 11% over the next two years – but their chairman has pledged that no branches will be closed.

Nick Alexander, who died in the Bataclan massacre, in Paris, France. Photo: Foreign & Commonwealth Office/PA Wire.

The parents of Essex man Nick Alexander, killed in the Paris terror attacks two weeks’ ago, have released a statement ahead of a memorial service taking place in the French capital today.

Most read

Most commented

Topic pages

Local business directory

Suffolk's trusted business finder

Property search

e.g. Oxford or NW3
Powered by Zoopla

Digital Edition

Read the Ipswich Star e-edition today E-edition

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24