Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 13°C

Search

Long Melford: Planning inspector backs decision to reject controversial development

PUBLISHED: 16:00 18 June 2014

The access road to the proposed David Wilson Homes development was deemed unsafe for pedestrians

The access road to the proposed David Wilson Homes development was deemed unsafe for pedestrians

Villagers who campaigned against a 51-home development in the heart of their historic village have scored a victory after a planning inspector upheld a decision to reject the controversial scheme.

David Wilson Homes’ plans to develop the former Fleetwood Caravans factory site in Long Melford were thrown out by Babergh District Council last June on the grounds of pedestrian safety.

Planning committee members said access to the site – including roads and pavements – was “inadequate and dangerous”.

The developer submitted an appeal to the Secretary of State and a three-day public inquiry took place earlier this year, attended by around 50 Long Melford residents who set up a protest group to fight the application.

It has just been announced that planning inspector Isobel McCretton has decided to uphold Babergh’s decision. In her report, she said although there were benefits of using brownfield sites for development – especially for affordable housing provision – the safety of pedestrians was paramount.

She added: “The scale of the development proposed increases the potential for vehicle/pedestrian conflict.

“As such I find that the proposal would not provide safe and suitable access for all people, as required by the (national planning policy) framework, and would be detrimental to vehicular and pedestrian safety.”

Ms McCretton said as Babergh had already 
demonstrated a five-year supply of housing land, there was no immediate imperative for the site to be used for new homes.

Peter Beer, chairman of the council’s planning committee, was pleased with the outcome.

He added: “Babergh’s planning committee thoroughly considered the report and debated the matter in an open and transparent manner.

“The public inquiry was extremely well attended where Babergh successfully defended its decision.”

According to Long Melford Parish Council chairman Peter Turner, the planning application for the Fleetwood site was “lacking on some important practical aspects”.

He said: “It is pleasing to hear the planning inspector took note of the views of many local people. The parish council is not against the principle of development on this site but let’s get it right.”

A David Wilson Homes spokesman said: “David Wilson Homes is disappointed with the inspector’s decision to refuse the appeal.

“We will be taking time to reflect on the decision notice and will be reviewing our options going forward.”

1 comment

  • This site could now become a white elephant. Developers will be put off for anything other than housing, uses. What I have not seen from any serious organisations or groups are alternative suggestions for the site. It was a factory but we already have two industrial estates nearby so not a factory again. I have read a suggestion of a village centre car park but surely there was opposition to vehicle movements in and out the site. A car park would create even more.

    Report this comment

    The original Victor Meldrew

    Thursday, June 19, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

A support worker at sheltered housing in Felixstowe had to move jobs and suffered from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) after a drunk resident ran past her brandishing a knife, a court has heard.

The full list of award winners, including glory for Suffolk and North Essex, was unveiled at the Chelsea Flower Show, today.

A young Ipswich Town goalkeeper has apologised after posting “insensitive” messages on social media following the Manchester terror attack last night.

The new branch of discount homeware superstore The Range is to open at 9am next Friday – June 2.

An Ipswich woman who has lost nine stone in less than a year has inspired health professionals to rethink the way they handle conversations with patients about their weight.

Sir Roger Moore, the longest serving James Bond, from 1973 to 1984, has died of cancer, aged 89, his family has announced..

Designs have been revealed for Capel St Mary’s very first war memorial, which will honour members of the village and surrounding area who lost their lives in battle.

Two new low-cost retail stores are coming to Bury St Edmunds, as a long redundant site is brought back into use.

Police are working to establish whether suspected Manchester bomber Salman Abedi was working alone or as part of a wider network as more victims of last night’s attack are named.

Major Jamie Milnes shares what is planned for the Suffolk Show 2017 Military Village.

Most read

Most commented

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24