Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

Long Melford: QC is under investigation over alleged remarks about disabled

10:36 24 April 2014

Melford sign

Melford sign

Archant

A Queen’s Counsel who allegedly referred to disabled people living in a west Suffolk village as “three-eyed and one-legged” is being investigated by the Bar Standards Board.

shares

It is claimed Peter Village QC made the remarks while representing David Wilson Homes at a public inquiry into an application to build 51 homes on a former factory site in Long Melford.

Babergh’s planning committee rejected the proposal due to concerns about access to the site and pedestrian safety.

A group of residents opposed to the development hired a witness to speak at the inquiry – held in Hadleigh in February – about problems the narrow access way could pose to people with disabilities. Mr Village’s alleged comments were made in response to evidence presented by this witness. Last night, the QC who is a London-based planning and environmental law litigator, said he would “vigorously defend” himself against the complaints.

A spokesman for the Bar Standards Board said: “We do not comment on individual cases unless a disciplinary tribunal has been scheduled.”

The inquiry was discussed at the annual Long Melford parish meeting on Tuesday evening, where it emerged that complaints made about the way Babergh has handled the planning application are also the subject of an internal investigation at the council.

At the meeting, Melford resident Camilla Rodwell said: “The conduct of David Wilson Homes QC Peter Village (at the inquiry) was appalling.

“Some might say he was just doing his job but his summation of the residents of Long Melford was that we all drive Range Rovers, are opposed to affordable housing and in his closing remarks he referred to the disabled people in our community as ‘three-eyed and one-legged’.

“This is totally unacceptable and I have lodged a complaint against him with the Bar Standards Board, as indeed has another member of our community who was present at the hearing.

“The Board has accepted both complaints and is conducting a full investigation into Mr Village’s behaviour.”

County, district and parish councillor and former magistrate Richard Kemp, who was also at the public inquiry, said Mr Village’s comments had been made in response to points raised by the opposition’s expert witness about disabled access.

Mr Kemp said: “I was shocked and appalled that he made these remarks in front of 30 witnesses, including one of our residents who was awarded an MBE for his work with people with disabilities.

“His comments were grossly offensive and although they have been reported to the Bar Standards Board, I also think there is a prima facie case for criminal breach falling within the Disabled Persons Act.”

Last night Mr Village said: “I have received two complaints which I am vigorously defending through the appropriate channels.”

A council investigation is under way after complaints were made about the way officers at Babergh handled the application for the 51-home development in Long Melford.

To support growth, authorities receive a grant from the Government under the New Homes Bonus Scheme for every new house built.

Some villagers, who openly expressed their concerns at the annual parish meeting, have accused the authority of colluding with developers and not doing enough to defend the planning committee’s decision to refuse the scheme.

On the second day of the public inquiry into the application, Babergh dismissed William Richards, the planning law specialist it had appointed to formulate the case against the development.

The council said this was on the grounds he had failed to inform David Wilson Homes the hearing was being recorded.

Mr Richards was replaced by Babergh’s planning chief, Christine Thurlow, who had overseen the original planning report in support of the scheme.

One of the committee’s two reasons for refusing the application had also been removed from the final report without further consultation. At the parish meeting, members of the action group opposing the development urged Long Melford Parish Council to write to Babergh demanding an independent inquiry.

Last night, a Babergh spokesman said: “Babergh District Council is aware of a number of totally unsubstantiated but serious allegations made against various members of our staff.

“We are currently concluding an internal investigation into some of the issues raised but, guided by the principles of openness and transparency; we feel that the most damaging allegations need to be referred to the police for their consideration.

“We have repeatedly advised the parties making these allegations to contact Suffolk Constabulary immediately and we will co-operate fully in any investigation.”

shares

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ipswich Star visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ipswich Star staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ipswich Star account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Many of the houses in Cromwell Street, Ipswich were due for demolition when this photograph was taken in the mid 1960s. They were replaced with a dual carriageway road, which came to an abrupt end at St Nicholas Street. There was originally a plan to take the road through to the Fore Street area of the town. Franciscan Way was later joined with Greyfriars Road and the remaining part of Franciscan Way converted into Cromwell Square car park.
(Photo by Jack Keen)

Nearly 60 years ago a plan was drawn up for Ipswich to cope with the rise of the motor car by creating a dual carriageway around the town centre.

Hundreds of flowers and messages have been placed on the fence around Thurston Community College after a pupil died from a shooting.

Thousands of pounds have been raised in the wake of the tragic death of a 13-year-old Thurston boy, with the Suffolk community rallying together to support the family.

Stock image of A12.

Long delays on the A12 London-bound in Colchester have been caused by a two-car crash.

The new Ipswich police headquarters from insurance company offices in Civic Drive in July 1968

In the summer of 1968 the Ipswich Police Station moved from under the Town Hall to a new building at the junction of Civic Drive and Elm Street. 
Last June work started to demolish this landmark building and the site is now being converted to a temporary surface car park.

Ipswich is to have two Poundland stores on opposite sides of Carr Street.

A third Poundland store is to open in Ipswich town centre at the weekend.

Mike and Natalie Gee are upset and worried at having to pay £13,000 for the council to make modifications to their home in Ipswich. Natalie has recently become paraplegic after a spinal injury and is in a wheelchair.

“I just want to be a mummy again” – that is the message from an Ipswich woman who was told she would never walk again by doctors.

Hundreds of flowers and messages have been placed on the fence around Thurston Community College after a pupil died from a shooting.

Stowmarket Rugby Club members have been mourning the loss of a promising young player after the tragic death of Ben Wragge, 13.

The Middy in the war years event at Mid Suffolk Light Railway at Wetheringsett.

A large number of visitors attended a Suffolk heritage railway’s annual 1940s event during the Bank Holiday weekend.

Ipswich Town Hall.

District councils in Suffolk and north Essex spent more than £20million on redundancy packages over a five-year period, with some departing staff receiving six-figure payouts, an investigation has found.

Network Rail engineers working at Harold Wood.

More than half a mile of track was replaced by Network Rail engineers on the main line to London over the bank holiday.

Most read

Most commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Streetlife

Newsletter Sign Up

Great British Life

Great British Life
MyDate24 MyPhotos24