Rain

Rain

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 1°C

Search

Man accused of rape cleared after case against him is dropped

PUBLISHED: 15:21 14 December 2017 | UPDATED: 15:21 14 December 2017

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture:  GREGG BROWN

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: GREGG BROWN

A Suffolk man accused of raping a woman after allegedly locking her in his home has been cleared after the prosecution dropped the case against him.

Paul Shelley, 35, formerly of Debenham, and now living in Stowmarket, denied false imprisonment and rape and last month a jury at Ipswich Crown Court was discharged after failing to reach verdicts in the case.

The case was adjourned to allow the prosecution to decide if it wanted a retrial and today prosecution Christopher Paxton said he wasn’t seeking a retrial and offered no further evidence against Shelley on the two charges.

Judge Rupert Overbury ordered that not guilty verdicts be entered on the court record and made Shelley the subject of an indefinite restraining order banning him from contacting the alleged victim.

During his trial the court heard that following his arrest Shelley told police he and the alleged victim had consensual sex and he had locked the front door because he didn’t want anyone to walk in.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

The shocking prevalence of rape in Ipswich has been uncovered in an EADT and Star investigation.

Ed Sheeran has got engaged to his partner Cherry Seaborn, the Framlingham singer has confirmed on Instagram.

Police wants to speak to two teenagers about an attempted murder in Colchester in the early hours of this morning.

Emergency services have been called to the scene of a car having gone into a ditch on the A12 near Darsham

Snow could fall in parts of Suffolk on Sunday morning as temperatures are set to drop overnight.

Tourism leaders in Suffolk have teamed up to entice high-spending younger visitors to the county and place it on their “must-visit” list.

Few of us can imagine what it feels like to be born in a body that you do not recognise as your own.

Police have launched an attempted murder investigation after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed in Osborne Street, Colchester, in the early hours of this morning.

Nadhim Zahawi, minister in the Department for Education says the Ipswich Opportunity Area plan will give young people in the town to be the best version of themselves.

A Suffolk family had the BBC’s DIY SOS team spend 10 days at their property in November.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Topic pages

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
MyDate24 MyPhotos24